Tiger Explorer 1200 Clutch Slave Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Steve Kibbey, Sep 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve Kibbey

Steve Kibbey New Member

Jun 28, 2020
    hampshire, england
    Hi, Can anyone advise me on getting hold of a clutch slave kit for my explorer? Seal went Sunday but apparently I cannot get a replacement and need to replace the whole thing, which is on back order! Had the bike a couple of weeks now and so far i have had the fork seals go and now the clutch slave. Is this common for a bike that has been stood a while??? TIA

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Slave? Do you mean the caliper or master attached to the pedal?

3. Steve Kibbey

Steve Kibbey New Member

Jun 28, 2020
    hampshire, england
    Hi not sure if I lost you in translation but in the uk on a bike the part that operates the clutch is called the slave cylinder. It sits behind the cover plate on the rhs of the bike and acts directly on the clutch.

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    @Steve Kibbey have you asked on the tiger 1200 forum?
    Bad luck yo have those go.
    There’s loads on eBay and just as a heads up if you haven’t already seen it have a look here

• Like Like x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #5 Callumity, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Doh! (As a well known American might say) Read ‘clutch’ thought ‘brake’. Getting senile!

Your best bet looks to be disassembly because the seal itself will be a generic $5 part if you can but identify internal/external diameters and width. The whole assembly is about $100 if you can but find them. Seals hate drying out and harden and crack. A weekly pump is enough.

Those concentric actuators are a complete PITA in car gearboxes buried in the bell housing. Give me an external lever every time.

• Like Like x 1