Tiger Cub Rookie Oil Change Move

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by tigercub, Dec 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Dec 3, 2023
    New Zealand
    Hi all,
    First time poster here from New Zealand.

I have a 1968 Tiger Cub (T20 Super Cub), I've had it for a year and love it to bits.

I'm a rookie with bike maintenance and tried to tackle a gear oil change for the first time today. I took the drain plug out and not much drained out so it was well overdue for a top up.
    Anyway I put the drain plug back in and took out the overflow bolt in the middle of the drain plug. I poured and poured and nothing came from the overflow but I managed to overflow out the top where I was pouring.
    I'm embarrassed to say I think I've got the wrong hole, I also used 20w 50 which I've realised afterwards probably isn't the best choice for the gearbox.
    I have a photo of where I poured the oil, any help on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

https://ibb.co/VMMb7hB
    [​IMG]

2. 243jimb

243jimb Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Canada
    It's been many years since I owned a Tiger Cub but that is the "plug" for the points housing, often erroneously called the distributor. The smaller plug beside it is what you are looking for. If you can get a workshop manual it is a great help and will explain these things.

3. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Dec 3, 2023
    New Zealand
    Thanks heaps for the reply Jim, I'm working on getting a manual. Oh no, I guess if that's the points housing where I have put the oil then I'll have to take the whole cover off now? Not as simple as finding a drain plug to drain I guess?

4. 243jimb

243jimb Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Canada
    I should have explained it better. On the earlier models the points were in a housing that stuck up from that plug location and looked a bit like a distributor, they were then moved to the RH cover where yours will be. If you pour oil in the blanking plug opening, it goes into the engine so no problem other than your oil level will be a bit high. The gearbox does require a heavier grade of oil and it may be EP90 but I can't remember now. It's been about 50 years since I had one. 003.jpg