Tiger Cub Primary Chain

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by LIL. CHRIS, Aug 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LIL. CHRIS

LIL. CHRIS New Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Merseyside
    Hi.Im having difficulty in starting my cub.I was wondering just how much slack should there be in the primary chain.There is no tension plate to take up any slack.It does look to be a lot as compared to what they recommend for say the drive chain.I may need a new one.Thanks

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. 243jimb

243jimb Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Canada
    If there is excessive slack in the primary chain then it should be replaced. It is unlikely that it will be causing poor starting though. What are the symptoms, does it not start at all?

Jim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LIL. CHRIS

LIL. CHRIS New Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Merseyside
    Hi.I cannot get it start at all.I have fitted electronic ignition,new coil.I fitted new springs to the clutch and ever since it will not start, that is why I thought it could be slack in the primary chain.Having set the timing it just tends to backfire every so often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    You say ever since it will not start. I take it then all was good till you replaced the ignition and coil. Sounds like you need to go back over your work

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. LIL. CHRIS

LIL. CHRIS New Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Merseyside
    Hi.Yes I have done that.I have good spark and the plug gets wet.I wonder if the timing needs retarding,but how much.I know this sounds daft but I have a bad knee and can not kick down very hard.Could I perhaps not be giving it enough "welly".Chris

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. 243jimb

243jimb Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Canada
    It is most likely the ignition timing. Are you certain that you timed it to the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke? I did that once! Are you getting a spark? If so then it is just a question of getting the timing right. Go over the electronic ignition installation instructions carefully. It will require retiming once installed.

Jim.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. LIL. CHRIS

LIL. CHRIS New Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Merseyside
    Hi.Thanks for help.Will do.Chris