Tiger - Bar End Mirrors?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Rod S, Apr 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rod S

Rod S New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Cambridge
    Hi all,

I bought a Triumph Tiger XRX (2017 model) last year. It's a great bike in all respects and well pleased with it. The only slightly negative thing about it is the amount of buffetting wind that flows onto my helmet. I've read around various threads about buffeting and would like to reduce it as much as reasonably practical. I'm 6' 2" so fairly tall.

I've tried the Powerbronze Adventure Screen. It's a low screen and did make a difference as the air was 'cleaner' - almost like a naked bike. However the downside was the wind blast (i.e. a sore neck at high speed) and the bug splat meant that it was a no go for me! As a result the standard Tiger screen is back on and I'm wondering what to try next.

The other day I was tinkering and removed the mirrors to see if that made a difference. The 'dirty/noisy' air was vastly reduced. This made me think that if there was a bar end mirror solution on the market for a Tiger 800 XRX I would give that a go.

I've tried Tiumph Parts but they don't supply bar end mirrors for any Tiger model. So... it may sound a bit crazy... but does anyone know if there is a manufacturer that makes bar end mirrors for this bike model and has anyone tried this before?

Cheers,

Rod

2. Rod S

Rod S New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Cambridge
    Thanks. The handguards are the type that are attached to the bar end - however I've removed the handguards as I like the wind on my hands. Most of the bar end mirrors that I've seen grip onto the outside end of the handlebars but there is no room for that on the XRX - it looks like the bar end mirrors will have to be fixed on with an internal screw bolt (i.e. the same bolt that used to hold the end of the handguard on).

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    never thought of bar ends on a tiger but I don't think much anyways. I got a cheap madstad screen off ebay/or other forum and it solved the windy buffeting.maybe mirror extenders might take the buffeting further away

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Rod S

Rod S New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Cambridge
    #4 Rod S, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Thanks Crispey. Good suggestion on the mirror extenders, I saw this solution somewhere on the web, I might give that a go if the bar end mirrors are not a possibility.

5. Rod S

Rod S New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Cambridge
    Thanks. Having looked at the end of the bar ends on my Tiger last night it looks like it might be more trouble than it's worth! There's not much surface for a bar end mirror to abut to as the alloy insert has quite a smaller diameter than the bar itself.

6. Rod S

Rod S New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Cambridge
    Update: in the end I bought a pair of 'Puig Hypernaked' mirrors which affix to the orginal mirror fittings. These mirrors are smaller/slimmer than the mirrors that came with the Tiger.

PROS: they reduce wind buffeting and they look good!

CONS: its a bit more tricky to eyeball things coming up behind you but they do make you scan more actively for cars.

7. Rod S

Rod S New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Cambridge
    #7 Rod S, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Also... in an effort to further reduce wind buffeting I also removed the screen completely over the summer. I can vouch that a naked Tiger has surprisingly less buffeting and a cleaner air flow on my helmet and... my neck muscles are stronger as a result!