Tiger 955i Running Lumpy At Low Speed

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tony12345, Jun 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tony12345

Tony12345 New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Spalding
    #1 Tony12345, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Hi, I recently bought a 04 tiger 955i, it came in as a part exchange for a 1050 that I wanted to look at but missed out, (found after looking around the 1050 was way too big for my size & the 955 was more my size). I was fortunate the bike came in the night before, also bike was dirty and wasn't ready for sale, but managed to view it. On first inspection no oil, fuel or water leaks, engine runs pritty sweet. I managed to get a test ride a few days later and didn't find anything major wrong with it. I then purchased it, had to wait a couple of weeks so they could do a full pre sale service and a full clean lol. I received the bike yesterday, and seems to run pritty well. I have noticed, that the accessory no3 fuse had blowen, replaced it, also running the bike in traffic under 40mph,. (20,25,30,35 mph) bike seems to run a little lumpy engine sounds like it's almost misfiring,. Running over 40mph, (50 to 70mph) engine runs fine no misfiring lumpyness etc. Bike starts first time with no issues, also bike ticks over at about 1500rpm. I'm thinking a spark plug may be on the way out of a bad lead,. I have read on another forum post someone jetwashed their bike and caused water entering the ECU that caused issues. I'm not an expert and didn't want to strip to change the plugs just in case it's something else, also there is no engine warning light. Can anyone help? Thanks

2. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    #2 D'Ecosse, Jun 27, 2019
    All the Triples tend to be a bit too lean at the bottom end which leads to 'surging' (hesitation picking up off the throttle and lumpy/lurching at low engine speeds) - it's a fundamental issue in the Fuel Map but can be exacerbated by some other factors which can make it worse and more noticeable.
    Ultimately I recommend a little change to the map but this might be beyond many - but what you can do to help the situation is, first, do NOT use Premium petrol and try to avoid Ethanol Fuel when you can i.e. 95 Octane non-Ethanol is what you need to be running. It is a common misconception that higher octane is 'better' - you actually get a cleaner longer-lasting burn with lower octane and the higher octane actually makes it HARDER to ignite. And the OEM maps were never designed for Ethanol based fuels (most of the new Triumphs all have maps specifically designed for that)
    So start with that
    You may also most likely need a throttle balance, another factor which will greatly affect low throttle idle and pick up from low throttle openings.

*Never a great idea to pressure wash a bike, but cannot see how it is possible to get water INSIDE an ECU!!! :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tony12345

Tony12345 New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Spalding
    #3 Tony12345, Jun 27, 2019
    Hi in the UK we have unleaded Ron 95 and super unleaded Ron 98,. I only have ever used standard unleaded in all the vehicles I driven,. Thanks for info I'll have a look at a remap or throttle balance :). Well. Been reading more about fuel, figured out how why my fuel efficient car went from 75mpg right down to 50 mpg, :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    A throttle balance and TPS setting made a big difference on my Daytona.
    I’d also removed the throttle bodies, cleaned them up and used a new gasket with Wellseal
    The idle was much better after this, but it’s even better now after a map change with Tuneecu :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Tony12345

Tony12345 New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Spalding
    Where can I get a remap done? I had my car done but they don't do bikes, would a triumph garage beagle to do it?

• Like Like x 1
  7. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I wouldn’t be going to a Triumph dealer unless you want to get a second mortgage :p
    How handy are you with the spanners Tony? It’s pretty easy to load maps yourself with a bit of know how.
    If I was a bit closer to you I’d come and give you a demo, maybe there’s someone else near to you who can help? :grinning:
    Obviously if you want a proper custom job doing you’ll need to get the bike on a dyno.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tony12345

Tony12345 New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Spalding
    Prity handy with basic stuff, I had a look at a few online videos it's a little out of my league,. I'm joining a local biking club in a week or too so I can ask there. I just been through the paperwork the throttle balance was done back in 2013 with a major service,. I guess prev owner tried to "fix" the problem previous.

• Like Like x 1
  9. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    2013? I think it might need doing again then. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    Well at least it's 'only' 5% - here in CA it's 10% and in some S. Am countries it's 25% !

• Like Like x 1
  11. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    It’s getting that way here. 10% is supposed to be arriving soon with more to come.
    Time to get my spare tank lined and repainted. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  12. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    That is definitely a good move - I lined my tank with Caswell Epoxy kit before I had it painted.
    I had my tank off the other day - everything lined up perfectly on re-assembly - used to have to shoe-horn it - with the ethanol over here, you have to seriously manhandle to refit them - worst offenders are the Sprint tanks (not because they expand worse than the others, just the plane of the expansion makes the bolts impossible to fit once removed)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tony12345

Tony12345 New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Spalding
    Hi, someone on another forum gave me a contact for a guru of triumphs, this person has been mentioned on here a few times, also he is normally fully booked by people all over the country and abroad. Every one says how good he is and always go back to him. However I contacted him via email and he contacted me back and also called me. Tbh I had a bad experience with him, he hasn't seen the bike. Told him what I said on here the problem. Email I got back said pretty much bad/sticking brakes, fuel damaged pipes, and 100's of other problems, when he did call, he pretty much said I could have very expensive repair Bill's, this and that could be wrong with it, he asked me what I paid for it, when I told him well, sounded like he was pulling his hair out. Said i could buy a near new bike for that, what i didn't say is i didn't want any jap rubbish, I know they lose value and you can pick up a new ish one pretty cheap, but I hate them, I wanted something for me not anyone else. He then.told.me to take the bike back to where I bought it and get my money back! The tiger I bought, I did my homework first, I checked out the price on the 2nd hand market, also checked out for usual problems with type of machine, spent 2 weeks looking. I bought it as it was much bigger than most bikes, I found it comfortable to ride, despite it's a heavy bike I found it much easier to handle than some of the smaller large engined bike
    The price i paid was average for its age, mileage and condition. As i said I'm not an expert. But i have bought cars and bikes in the past, also the nature of my job i have a good idea what to look for, and i know what i bought is in near nint condition, and had been looked after. I guess I may have caught him on a bad day? All I wanted was a price for a remap lol. If what people say is true then would the problem popped up much earlier and it fixed? I doubt a "fuel" problem melting parts would take 15 years to happen lol.. i have noticed now what has been said
    I found on my classic bike the carb float had got stuck and flooded out all over the frame. I had noticed the fuel had eaten though the plastic tool box cover with in a couple of days, rest of the bike is fine though it's a proper classic made of steel, stainless and not modern plastic lol

• Like Like x 1