Tiger 955i Help and Advice

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sheppy, Sep 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sheppy

Sheppy New Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Devon
    Hello all,

I'm looking to get back into biking after a a few years break, and find myself looking at the Tiger 955i. A couple of reasons, firstly I'm very tall (6'5") and the bike seems to fit this area well, secondly, I don't want to spend a lot so something around 2-2.5k will suffice, partly because I'm a tight sod, but mainly because I'm not sure I'll use it as much a I think.

There are a couple of questions re this bike. Firstly, from reading up there seems to have been a face life around 2002/2003 but I can't actually see any difference from any of the ones I look at?
    Secondly, while I do like the charm the 955i, I do think the front fairing looks a little naff, and well lets be honest, it's not the prettiest.... Are there any options to change the front fairing that anyone's come across?

I look forward to some help, general chat and probably the usual amount of slight but endearing sarcasm....

Sheppy :)

2. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    More likely to be the usual and endearing amount of sarcasm and general piss taking in here
    As to fairing replacement never heard of any

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Sheppy, I've recently bought a 2006 Tiger 955i with alloy wheels so I've been through the research phase you're going through now.

Here's what I found out:
    1. The 955i was the successor to the 885 and came in in roughly '99;

2. It was facelifted in about 2002 then again more profoundly in 2005. Changes in 05' were : alloys wheels as std., new clutch cover and workings; changes to head;

My 06 bike is an absolute cracker. It was a 1 owner before me and supposed to be fully serviced - fuck that!!! - but I'm gradually going through stuff to get her back to 100%

I'm going to start doing a regular upgrade thread in the Tiger section so maybe I'll see you there?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sheppy

Sheppy New Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Devon
    Thanks Dave, and I guess Gary too :)
    Would be very interested in your thread if and when you start. I could stretch to a 2005 model but not sure I really want to, there are a few low mileage ones around, so will keep my eyes open. I guess I'm looking for the usual things etc etc.

But I do know what you mean about so called service history. Did you have any documentation and were just unlucky or did the seller say he'd looked after it himself? Always a tricky one...

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
  6. Sheppy

Sheppy New Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Devon
    Hi Dave,
    You sure that's the right link? Seems to be an ebay link for tiger bikes?

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    It is. He's old and lost it I'm afraid. Just go to the
    vintage tiger thread on this forum and you'll find it. Bless!!

• Like Like x 3
  8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Sheppy, the link in my post is to Ebay showing what 955i's are available right now.

My Tiger 955i re-furb post is in "Vintage Tiger" section here:

http://www.thetriumphforum.co.uk/forums/vintage-tiger.9/

9. coleser

coleser New Member

Aug 2, 2016
    somerset
    Hi Shep. I agree the fairing isn't the purtiest, looks very dated. Never seen anyone done a replant, but there's enough street fighter bits out there to do a remodel if yve got the spanner ability. The guy l just recently brought mine off was your height and he said it were fine. I be under the magic 6ft mark but can just see the ground,(must have thick socks). You can find them in your price range, as l picked up my 07 registered model with 23thou. For 2500. Only try to get one with luggage, as l cant track any down for love nor money. Lovely smooth torquey engine on them too, handles really well but front end is very soft.

10. Sheppy

Sheppy New Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Devon
    Thanks Coleser. I guess I've seen worse, but just wondered if anyone had done a after market mod, but i guess not. When you look more closely the front fairing does look rather cat like, and I guess that's what they wanted. I believe the soft front forks can be solved with harder liquids etc, might be worth a try. There seems to be a few later ones for 3 to 3.5k, and a few mid ones for 2.5 to 3k so I guess it's a case of waiting for the right one and maybe put in a cheeky offer :) I was concerned about colour, but figure I'd rather get the right bike, as changing the colour ironically isn't a very hard or expensive job. Trouble is I've now seen a couple GS1200's for 4-5k but that's still double my budget!!!!
    I'll have to apply some man-logic to the costs :)