Vintage Tiger Tiger 900 Steamer, Adventure Bike ???

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by QuadumphUK, Feb 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Has anyone done some off roading on their Tiger ?
    I don`t just mean bit of green laning but more sort of adventure stuff.
    Are they a bit to heavy or difficult to pick up ?
    Fuel economy ?
    Tyre wear and tear ?
    It`s just an idea i have to maybe lighten it with changing rear plastic to more of an off road bikes aka, Dr650 or Transalp seat & plastics etc.
    Perhaps even 3 into 1 exhaust.
    Only dreaming at moment but has been at back of mind for along time to do something more adventurous.
    Is the Tiger 900 Steamer the bike for the job ?
    Steel frames can be fixed out in the sticks but ali frame is a bit more difficult.
    c22a0bf0bacc6c70799406e4517def88.jpg 22705479bf0c35e84b0aab920cba2dd6.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    The Steamer is, fundamentally, a sheep in wolf's clothing ....... at least it is as far as serious off-roading is concerned. It was a styling exercise to provide an additional option for selling the platform of the T3 engine and frame and was, IMHO, never really intended or designed to be used on anything rougher than a byway in good condition. It's always been a tall and top heavy bike and, if it goes down with any reasonable amount of fuel in it, you'd better be fit, strong AND have the knack for lifting it - unless you subject the bike to a LOT of serious weight loss .... not just the plastics.

No doubt someone, somewhere will have used the bike in some extreme off-road adventure but, personally, I just don't believe that it is a very suitable tool for that particular job. I think I'd be looking at a well used/sorted XT500 or similar and preserve the Tiger as a protected species!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #3 Wire-Wheels, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Not exactly a lightweight for sure. If it were mine I'd keep it original and enjoy it for the lovely old beast the way it is. Even my T-3 Sprint is like dancing with a fat lady [you can do the dip, but carefully]. I love her anyhow. ;) …J.D.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I dropped my " Girlie " hooning about off road many moons ago. Definitely not the bike for that . Geez, what a lump to pick up again.

• Like Like x 3
  5. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Thanks for your replies. I was thinking that the Tiger might be a bit heavy and hard to pick up. The Transalp, Africa Twin, XT, KLR etc probably best option. Still just a dream at moment but would like to do something a bit more adventurous in futuure once built Quadumph as I want her

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I've never dropped the "Scarlet Colored Wild Beast" before, but I have come.WAY too hot into a corner a few times. Scary to get your knee down and in counter steer mode with that much hardware [one time rotating the rear around with the front brake--shudder,shudder]. And mine has a lower CG than a steamer. Not made for those kind of games :D ...J.D.
    95 Sprint-2.jpg

• Like Like x 4