Tiger 800 Tiger 900 Gt Should I Get Low Version Or Regular?

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Jon Wells, Nov 21, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jon Wells

Jon Wells New Member

Nov 21, 2021
    San Francisco
    I’m trying to decide between the Tiger 900 GT and the Low version. My height is 5 feet 7.5 inches (1712mm) and my inseam is 30 inches (762mm). When sitting on the regular version, both feet are tippy-toe and not particularly comfortable, but it’s an easy lean onto one foot. I grew up on a Yamaha SECA II, which had a seat height of 30.6 inches (777mm) which I found comfortable. The regular version of the Tiger 900 GT has a low seat height of 31.9 inches (810mm) while the Low version is 29.9-30.7 inches (760-780 mm) depending on how you set up the seat. So, the easy answer is, sure…get the Low version! But I want to know how serious the trade-off’s are. For instance to what degree does the Low version compromise:
    1. ride comfort due to shorter shock travel (however, it should be noted that almost all of my riding is on pavement; off road is not really a consideration).
    2. cornering ability due to scraping the foot rest (however, I don’t aggressively corner, nor would I ever expect to so may not be an issue)
    3. overall handling
    4. anything else I haven’t thought of
    I have only a couple of thousand miles of riding experience. The SECA seat height was only 1.3 inches shorter than the regular version of the Tiger, so maybe I should just tough it out and be OK with not being flat footed on both feet.

Any input would be really helpful. Thanks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#2 Cyborgbot, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2021
    If it’s any help I have the low 800 XRX Tiger 800 and haven’t had any issues with ride comfort or handling.

Personally I prefer the knowledge I can reach the floor on a heavy cambered road and not have to pick up my expensive bike when ‘dimensions and distances’ get the better of you.

I always stop at a lean on my left foot. That means you have a solid connection to the ground and your bike can’t randomly wobble to the left or right catching you unaware and unprepared.

A friend (short) rides a BMW SS1000 (or something) and stops bolt upright on tip toes. He’s always falling over… Keep telling him to just put one foot down and lean the bike.

He knows best. Thankfully his crash bobbins have saved him from significant damage.

Edit: Just noticed ur in San Francisco - FFS get the low version and high soles boots!!! (Yes the exclamation marks are all necessary).

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jon Wells

Jon Wells New Member

Nov 21, 2021
    San Francisco
    Yes, when I tried on the Triumph, I was in tennis shoes...maybe I should try a proper fit with boots.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    I would go for the low version, it is not only the seat height but also the height of the pillion seat that you have to get over when getting on or off the bike.

You will feel much more confident on the low version, being able to get both feet flat on the ground. The Tiger is quite top heavy and once it starts to go it is very difficult to keep up. (Don't ask me how I know!!!)

Best of luck with your decision, ti is a superb bike.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I think you know the answer already. Get the Low version. If your roads are anything like ours then sooner rather than later you're going to come a cropper if you rely on tippy toes. You'll never feel totally relaxed because you'll be thinking about the next time you have to stop, whether it's at lights or whatever. When you want to park you'll end up riding around trying to find a safe place to stop. Have you ever tried to 'reverse' a bike while you're sitting on it, just using your toes? Almost impossible. Especially if the road is wet or muddy. You end up getting off and pushing it backwards.
    If the bike was seriously compromised by having a low seat option I doubt very much if Triumph would offer it.
    So I think that's your dilemma sorted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ian6

Ian6 New Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Buckinghamshire
    The only comment I haven't seen here is comfort. The low version can increase the bend of your knees, In my case, being ancient, this is a consideration. Otherwise I can only agree with the other posts that the low version would be best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    You should take the low version. You will have no problems with the handling and you can adjust the seat hight too. We use both types in our family. My father in law is just 175 cm and rides the standard height. My wife 162 cm rides the low version and is very happy with it.
    Only additional hint: The standard seat of the low version is not really comfortable. Therefore we put in an extra gel inlay. Now my wife is satisfied.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rikki Beattie

Rikki Beattie New Member

Feb 25, 2022
    Dundee
    Hi I am looking at getting a tiger900 low and wondered about the seat - can you add inserts to the seat it comes with - if so how do you add the gel seat in?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Only just seen this thread. I have a tiger sport and in its standard size I had trouble getting my feet on the ground. I had a 25 mm lowering kit and low seat which made the bike low enough for me to be comfortable in the saddle. No impact on handling and I can easily manage the bike. Not sure if you have that option for the 900 bikes?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. calum

calum New Member

Feb 23, 2021
    york
    I have the tiger 850 sport and with the seat in the low position when wearing my MC boots i can flat foot both sides. I have a 30" inseam but i do weigh 210 pounds you must be light or have the preload wound up if you cant flat foot. I tried the low 900GT and the pegs hit the ground on the first roundabout i went around!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I'm shorter than you and after just a few trips felt 100% comfortable on the full height version (GT Pro). Getting on and off I stand on the footpeg when swinging a leg over (and my dealership were adamant that's the correct way to mount/demount. Also, the low version removes the option of a centre stand, and the Tiger 900 is REALLY easy to get on the centre stand so it's a real plus. Finally, you can obviously put the seat in the low position, which mitigates the additional height somewhat.

Just some thoughts... not for me to tell you what to do, but GET THE FULL HEIGHT BIKE! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I don't want to sound like a granny teaching anyone to suck eggs here but I have to say that, IMO, it's really not a good idea to stand on the footpegs of a bike when it's on the sidestand. Sure, it'll be OK occasionally but, if it's habitual and you keep your bike for a long period then I'd strongly advise against doing it.

If you're dismounting by standing on the nearside footrest while the bike's already on the sidestand then you'll be putting additional load on the sidestand pivot - and that load will, obviously, be in addition to the supported weight of the machine and any luggage. I've no idea what kind of pivot point the Tiger has or where it sits on the machine but, if it's like many sidestands where it's a lug on the frame - or a sub-assembly - with two tangs of the sidestand 'surrounding' and bolted to the lug, then most of the weight is going to be transferred directly onto the lug, thence to the frame. If the sidestand is, say, cast alloy, then the danger is it will break at one of the lug points. If the sidestand is, say, cast iron then the danger is that the lug, or even the frame, will be gradually deformed. The bike will begin to sit lower when on the sidestand.

It used to be a fairly common problem on Norton Commandos - which have quite long sidestands - that the lower frame tube got distorted over time by the sidestand, or the weld for the frame lug parted company with the surrounding frame tube. Not a good scenario. You probably don't need to ask me how I know this ...........;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I have a tiger sport and always use the foot peg to get on and off the bike. If I didn’t I would not be able to get on or off. lol. I understand what you are saying, but that would mean I could not own this fantastic bike :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    You have to remove the metal pins and then the seat cover. Afterwards you can put in the gel inlay and fix the cover over it with new metal pins.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Yeah, I hear you, but there are definitely two schools of thought on this. In any case, i'd sooner risk the bike than I would my wedding tackle :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    I'm 5 7" and have no problems with the regular tiger
    but I'm coming from a vstrom 650, which is taller and heavier, this bike was dropped often.
    I have yet to drop the tiger while stopping, and I have scrapped the pegs while going through curves, I think this will be a more frequent occurrence with a lowered bike

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    I’m 5’8” and just yesterday collected my brand new Tiger Rally Pro. With the standard seat in the low position I’m fractionally short of flat footing it. This is with the Triumph aluminium luggage on it. When I put some things in the luggage I will probably completely flat foot it. They’re not that tall. Have a test ride on both the GT Pro and the Rally Pro before spending a lot of money on a bike that’s not quite right for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON

Fair point well made. Hopefully your wedding tackle is, too! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Off course they will tell you that because they want to sell you the bike. Total bollox.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace

• Agree Agree x 1