Tiger 800 Throttle Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Wavydavy, Mar 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wavydavy

Wavydavy New Member

Mar 13, 2018
    UK
    Morning all. I bought a Tiger last week and after a couple of rides have noticed there seems to be a bit of backlash in the throttle, a bit of a delay in response in pulling away and doesn't always seem to close fully initially. Initially i thought it was just me, winter gloves on and all that but I actually stalled it about three times yesterday during about 5 hrs of riding. I haven't had a look at the manual yet, just wondered if anyone else might have experienced anything similar?

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Don't all the 800's have a fly-by-wire throttle, ie no conventional throttle cable? What year is your bike please?

3. Wavydavy

Wavydavy New Member

Mar 13, 2018
    UK
    It's 2015 Big Lad. Yes it is but as far as i can see there is still a cable.

4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Thanks Davy for the reply. When I wrote my post I swithered about the use of the word 'cable' because on modern fly-by-wire bikes electrical cables are used between the throttle on the bars and the ECU, whereas on older bikes they used a 'Bowden cable'which is a mechanical device. So do you know which you've got.

So, getting back to your original question: modern fuel injected bike like the Tiger 800 have a device called an IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) and this is what controls idle as well as a lot of other things. They work with a solenoid and vacuum pipes. On the 800 it was a common problem that this device would malfunction due to dirt in the solenoid and/or degrade vacuum pipes.

This device is located under the airbox and from memory has 3 or 4 vacuum pipes.

Symptoms associated with the failure of this system are :
    Difficult starting;
    low or very high idling;
    poor running
    rich running

5. Wavydavy

Wavydavy New Member

Mar 13, 2018
    UK
    Thanks again mate, idling or running the bike seems to be fine, the rev's don't fluctuate at tickover, just a nice steady pace as you would expect. There seemed to be a slight delay in throttle response when I was pulling away. As I've only had the bike a week and only really got out for my first decent ride yesterday. If you can imagine as i'm winding the throttle winding back (We'll just say 12 oclock as our start point) I get nothing until maybe 10 oclock. I was hoping it might just be a small mechanical issue of cable adjustment.
    I'll get back to you when I have a proper look and more info.

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France