Tiger 800 Starting Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by norman turner, Jul 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. norman turner

norman turner New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Par Cornwall
    Hi there, I am having rouble starting my Tiger 800 2013 model. I turn on the ignition and all the lights appear including the red alarm light (which usually just blinks). If I rock the kill switch or turn the ignition on and off the red light will go out and the engine will start normally. I have had the switch housing off, cleaned the contacts on the stand and clutch lever.
    Once it starts it runs perfectly until I turn it off again and then back to square one. Sometimes I can get it to start straight away on other occasions I have had to wait up to an hour. I have fitted a new battery which has made no difference. Can anybody help.

Regards Norman.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Sorry haven’t got time to go into it but google stepper motor tiger 800, And you’ll find some info. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Go to the Tiger 800 forum and search stepper motor.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php

• Like Like x 1
  4. norman turner

norman turner New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Par Cornwall
    Looked at stepper motors but they don't seem to relate to the problems I am experiencing

5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    From your description Norman, I’m thinking it could be the immobiliser part of the alarm that’s not resetting and keeping the contacts open.
    Is it a factory fit alarm system or aftermarket?
    If it’s a factory fit, then I’d be getting a dealer to investigate. I know older bikes have a connection that can be unplugged and bridged to remove the alarm but don’t know if that’s the case with your bike unfortunately :confused:

6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It may not actually have an alarm fitted. I have the red blinking alarm warning light on my 2016 XRX but never had the alarm itself fitted. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes, you could be right Steve. I’ve just read that the newer bikes have an immobiliser built into the key and ECU. Found this snippet from a Triumph owners manual posted online, not sure what model though.

E1B7D4C8-91B5-44D3-A03A-3CBB76D43E29.jpeg

8. norman turner

norman turner New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Par Cornwall
    I believe that it has a factory alarm system and I have seen a u tube video of the disconnection on a tiger 1050 I hope its same.