Tiger 800 Only Starts With Tons Of Throttle When Cold

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by theFlyingTiger, Nov 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. theFlyingTiger

theFlyingTiger New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Australia
    Hi All,
    Sorry my first post is to present a problem.
    I have a 2016 Tiger 800 XRT with a starting issue that has a curious history. For a few months last year I had to park my bike in a location where occasionally someone would come past with a blower vac and blow dust and leaves etc all around it. The first time this happened the bike wouldn't start until it cranked for what seemed like 30 seconds and with a bit of throttle slowly came to life. At this point I hadn't connected the leaf-blowing with the non starting until it happened again some weeks or months later. A year on with the bike parked in a different spot (away from leaf blowers!) and I'm having the same problem whenever the bike is cold. To get it to start I have to give it lots of throttle, and after a minute or two of revving it madly (less cold = less time) eventually it will settle into a normal idle. If I don't rev it long enough it stalls.
    The battery is 100% (tested and on a good quality tender). I can hear the fuel pump noises etc, everything seems normal except that it won't start without heaps of revs. I feel like it is some kind of sensor that might be gummed up somehow that might be the connection with the leaf blower incident.
    Any ideas?

TIA!

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    H TFT, did you know that when you attempt to start the bike using any amount of throttle at all, you've taken the ECU out of 'cold start mode? This obviously makes starting more difficult.

If the bike won't start without touching the throttle, there is a problem probably linked with the IACV and it's vacuum pipes, situated under the airbox.

• Like Like x 2
  3. theFlyingTiger

Oct 21, 2019
    Australia
    Thanks for the tip biglad, had no idea about the cold start being disabled but I guess as it wouldn't start without throttle I was stuck anyway. Sounds like I might have some more research to do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The iacv (idle control valve) can get jammed up with dust so it doesn't move - can be cleaned with WD40 or aerosol brake cleaner. The vacuum pipes can detach or become split so there's no longer any vacuum.

To get at this lot you'll need to remove the fuel tank, remove the airbox and then you have access to the top of the engine and inlet manifold+IACV.

It's a lot easier to do if there's little or no fuel in the tank !!!

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  5. theFlyingTiger

Oct 21, 2019
    Australia
    Thanks Dave, the more I read the more I think the IACV is the issue. It's almost empty currently so this might be the opportune time to have a go at it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Might I suggest you get a metre of silicone vacuum pipe in stock, before you start to disassemble. With that you can remake the 3 or 4 existing vacuum pipes with new stuff, while you're in there.

From memory it's 7mm inside diam, but please verify, my memory is not what it was.

• Like Like x 1