Tiger 800 Oil Level

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Biker Jock, Nov 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I was giving the Tiger 800 a good clean and check over the other day, and had it on the paddock stand (my wife once asked why they're called panic stands - it must be my accent). I started the engine and ran it for a few minutes to evaporate any water trapped around the engine.

I wasn't too worried to see the oil level a bit low - it usually disappears from the sight glass when the engine is running, and I had checked it the week before. But the oil level remained very low long after I switched off. So I decided to top up to the correct level, which I did carefully and gradually.

But after the next run out, I checked the level when I got home and it was almost right to the top of the sight glass. I didn't think being on the paddock stand would make such a big difference, but I've just double-checked and, on the paddock stand the oil level looks reasonable, but off the paddock stand and held level, and it is definitely over full.

Should I take the hit and dump the oil and refill with fresh (it's not due for a few months/mile yet). Or is it ok to run it slightly over full? I have looked at this question on a couple of forums and the advice varies from "not a problem" to "drain the oil and start again".

What's your opinion?

2. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions. Sadly, the one I like (using a syringe to suck oil out through tubing) is not going to work. I have a good length of fine tubing but it won't find its way down past the clutch and round the corners to the sump.

I'll try letting some oil out via the filter or sump plug, but I'm not confident I'll be able to control it. So might end up dumping the oil and putting in fresh.

Thanks again. Here goes nuffink...

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Have to confess to once trying the "let a little bit out by undoing the sump bolt" trick.
    It didn't work very well - most of the oil ended up on the garage floor and up my sleeve. :mad::mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    OK, I'll have another go at persuading the tubing into the sump. I'm usually quite good at those fiddly jobs, so I just need to work up a bit of patience...

5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Dear Sir,

And the least cost!

Yours truly

Mr. A. Tightarse,
    Yorkshire.

• Funny Funny x 2