Tiger 1050 Won't Start When Hot

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mick Hutchinson, Jul 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mick Hutchinson

Mick Hutchinson New Member

Jul 5, 2018
    York, England
    Hi, hoping for some advice.

I have an 09 1050 Tiger and after riding it for an hour it will not then start, if i leave it for an hour it then starts ok. I have fitted a new battery over winter and have only had the problem this year and it seems worse on hot days. The bike has just been serviced with valve clearances done, throttle bodies synchronised etc which made no difference. It went back to the dealers who changed the crank position sensor and this made no difference. I am now wondering about the sprag clutch and is there any way to test this before getting it replaced.

Cheeers

Mick

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. Can you give us a bit more info please, does the bike turn over and refuse to fire, does it not even click on the starter solenoid, does the fuel system pressurise etc. Sorry to hear of your woes, hope you get it sorted soon so you can enjoy this weather.

3. Mick Hutchinson

Jul 5, 2018
    York, England
    Hi, it seems to turn over but doesn't fire, there is no smell of fuel but a couple of times it has fired once but not started and then doesn't fire again. When running it seems fine but just won't start after i have stopped when on a ride out. It starts great when it is at home and the problem only appears after it has been running for a while, I then leave it for a while and it starts again so very difficult to diagnose.

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi,
    I had this problem a year or so ago and countless searches threw up countless remedies. Stepper motor was one @thebiglad knows more about this one than me. I did get to it and gave it a good clean.but the thing that I think cleared it was a battery change I updated to a higher cca battery and it’s been no problem. I know you’ve just changed your battery but that’s when the probs started. So maybe the batt wasn’t charged properly on its first charge.
    Cheapest and easiest possible fix to start with is to reset your TPS ,
    If you don’t know how, it’s start the bike without using the throttle, let it idle until engine is fully warm or fan kicks in, this can be over 10 mins, or use tuneecu if you have it.
    PS forgot to mention mines a tiger 800

5. Mick Hutchinson

Jul 5, 2018
    York, England
    Hi, Had the bike on the diagnostics yesterday and the airbox ait temperature sensor was showing 50 degrees, obviously wrong when in a workshop. Even when air was a compressor was blown at it it only went down to 27 degrees. Did a comparison with a Tiger 800 which had been sat outside whilst mine wa sin the workshop and that was reading 27 degrees.Feely optimistic that we are heading in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Keep us informed