Featured Thunderbirds are go !

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by vic26a, Nov 16, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Picked up my 95 Thunderbird last night , my first ever Triumph and the youngest bike out of the handful of steeds I've had to date. Had a 20 mile ride home and first impressions - what a bloomin brilliant bike !! No wonder this was a success back in the early nineties and no wonder these early Hinckley triples are being regarded as future classics. Compared to anything I've had she handled great , was very comfortable, sure footed and confidence inspiring. The brakes were very good and the clutch lever light and easy to use . Also it's the first bike I've ridden where I felt I had a strong presence on the road and drivers were more aware of me.
    The bike itself although getting on a bit now still oozes quality , love the handlebar clamp and clutch covers with the Triumph logo on . Had a smile on my face all the way home . Roll on spring!!

IMG_20161108_134045.jpg

IMG_20161108_134019.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Very nice!:)

The good thing for you is that at 22,000 miles or so (according to your speedo if I read it correctly), it is only just run in. My '95 Trident 900 (basically the same engine) has now got 50,200 miles on the clock and is getting better with age. You may well be due for a valve shim check around 24,000 miles, if it hasn't been done recently. Also, DO NOT try to start the engine with a weak battery as this may well ruin the starter sprag clutch.:eek:
    Other than that, you will most certainly enjoy the T'bird. That engine is infectious!!:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Congrats on the new to you bike :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks Steve, yes just over 22,000 miles , and I note from an old receipt that the sprag clutch was done about 12,000 miles so hoping won't need to worry about that for a while . Yes the engine is infectious as you say , but a lot of salt on the roads up here already now so want to wait till weather improves before regular use . Saying that if we do get any fine dry winter days , probably take her out a spin.

5. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks darkman.

6. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Cheers mate , I hope so

• Like Like x 1
  7. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks dd , yes I've read a repots online about the sprag clutch issue and will be careful to not try starting the bike with a weak battery . Ironic thing is when picking the bike up the dealer said when servicing the bike they took the battery from another younger third they had in as mine was done but would probably still need a run to put some charge in it . So on pushing the bike outside the sales guy proceeds to crank the bike for to me what seemed like ages , I was just about to tell him to stop when the engine caught . It was fine after the run home and started immediately when I stopped at my mums and brothers to show them the bike, what with salt on the roads and dopey salesmen this is getting stressful

8. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Cheers littleade , yeah seem like a friendly and helpful bunch of guys , I'm enjoying reading through the older posts.

9. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Meant to say earlier Steve your bike is a cracking example of the trident and a credit to you mate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Nice looking bike mate, welcome in, good to see another carbed 900 in here.

• Like Like x 1
  11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Vic, I had 94 trident from new until 2000 , I did 161,000 klms (100,000 m) in just under 6yrs! I saw the bake again in 2012/13 it had 36,000 on the clock , spoke to the owner he said the speedometer died with 20,000 showing so that makes around about 260,000 klms, he had to overhaul the carbide, the slides wore out ! In my time it just had the expendables replaced and a couple of valves adjusted ! They really are a mechanically robust and reliable bike. The problems with the sprag clutch stem from the igniter , they were supposed to turn over 3x's before the ingniter was supposed to fire the plugs, this was so cranking speed could reach optimum and prevent backfires. A few were manufactured and fitted with the wrong igniter supplied from Triumphs suppliers. If yours was fixed or not one of the affected you needn't worry.

Cheers Mick

• Like Like x 1
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome - great bike you have there. I had an early 900 Trident and would echo what the others said about starting with a weak battery. My sprag had been replaced and the early models had the access panel to allow for replacement without removing the engine, but I always started it with the headlight off and the clutch pulled in.

• Like Like x 1
  13. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks mate .

14. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Hi, thanks for the info Mick . That's a helluva mileage mate , just shows these bikes were built to last . You must spend a lot of time in the saddle and be a hardy all weather rider ?

15. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Hi Steve, thanks for the tip mate .

16. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Cheers bikerman , the fact you've kept the bike so long speaks volumes mate .

17. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Cracking pic bikerman , looks like lovely weather you had for it . Wonder if the chrome clock casings were an extra back then , my one has the plain black cases? . Been down in England a few times when the kids were small , Yorkshire, Scarborough , great places .

18. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Wonder if mine was manufactured 94 registered 95 or something . In any case the chrome ones look cool , wee bit extra bling .

19. OnlySon

OnlySon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Scotland. UK
    A like it. A like it a lot.:p Oh and thanks. I`m now on bike trader and ebay looking at `birds. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. vic26a

vic26a Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Great stuff , some beauties around especially down south. They do have a 97 one at MCs in Renfrew .