Thunderbird Storm " ticking " engine noise

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Lalit, Sep 26, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lalit

Lalit New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Gurgaon, Haryana, India
    I am experiencing a problem. My Thunderbird Storm ABS is ridden 2700 Kms/ 2 months. I am getting a ticking noise from the engine. The Triumph mechanic told me that he would do some valve adjustments. The valve adjustments did not work, so he finally told me to put a shim to cover the gap in one of the valves !! I am wondering that a new bike would develop such problems ??

2. Patrick Billings

Patrick Billings New Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Arizona
    These are just noisy engines. Have the valves adjusted on the 12,000 mile service and just ride it and enjoy. I have had 4 Triumphs and they all hammer and tick. No worries .

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Lalit and welcome. I don't know what the Triumph mechanic was trying to say but if the valves were within tolerances - as they should be at 2700kms - then no further adjustment is required.

The ticking noise might be coming from the AI system solenoid? If so, then it is perfectly normal.

4. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    It will likely quiet over time, too. Mine used to make the same ticking, now has 12K miles and has quieted down.

5. Reesejones89

Reesejones89 New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Venice, Florida
    I've been reading everyone's threads about the ticking, it's making me feel a little better I guess. I just bought a new 2015 thunderbird storm gloss black, I've been obsessed with triumph most of my life and I've been looking at this bike for the last 4 or 5 years. I finally got one and it was a dream come true. Now it's barely past its break in and I'm taking it in to have it serviced in a couple days but it's not only ticking it's knocking at higher rpm.

6. Ronny

Ronny New Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Perth, Western Australia
    please let us know how you get on mate....I too am looking at buying a Tbird...but looking at a commander..same engine I Think

7. Reesejones89

Reesejones89 New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Venice, Florida
    Everything turned out great, got the bike serviced they checked into and said everything looked great was good to go. I've put almost 1300 miles on it now and it has stopped so I'm more than pleased and very in love with the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ronny

Ronny New Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Perth, Western Australia
    great...bought mine last Friday...pickup in another week..cant wait !!

9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Heh heh! a week can be a long time

10. Ronny

Ronny New Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Perth, Western Australia
    yeh...your telling me !!

11. Reesejones89

Reesejones89 New Member