Thunderbird problems

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Finchy, Apr 21, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Picked up my brand new Tbird last month and immediately noticed a ringing noise coming from the front of the tank. At it's first service a month later mentioned it to the mechanic and he said it's during the running in period and the noise will go. Thing is, surely the pitch would change depending on the engine speed, which it doesn't, and it sounds more electrical than mechanical?

Also, during the last 100 miles, it's very 'juddery' in second and third gear when cruising at slow speeds in traffic, and when it's time to open up in second gear, nothing happens straight away and there's a lag. Also, the speedo goes down to 0 when the clutch is pulled in, then back to the cruising speed when let out. I know it's probably the speedo cable come loose, but I don't want to mess about with it when it's still in warranty.

Anybody else had similar problems?

2. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    Hummm there's definitely an issue if the mileage drops to 0 when you engage the clutch! I would contact your dealer ASAP regarding that as it isn't right and could be dangerous. Regarding the noise it's difficult to tell but all Triumphs especially the modern bikes have a slight whining noise, ask your dealer if they have a demo thunderbird and compare the two.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    That sounds very weird, almost like your engine management system is playing up, it needs to be checked out by your local dealer

4. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Feb 24, 2014
    The first thing I did was to contact the service dept when they were back after Easter. It's not so much a whining noise, more ringing, think tinutus.

5. Techman1

Techman1 New Member

May 3, 2014
    I bought my 2013 Tbird ABS last month brand new from the dealer. It was totally fine until I had the 500 mile service. The next time I rode, I had an odd rattle that sounded like it was coming from under the tank. The next day I washed my bike and immediately took it out for a ride. My speedo was acting just like you describe. At first it didn't work at all. Then it would be fine for a few minutes. Finally, it would drop to 0 every time I pulled the clutch. The following day the engine maintenance light came on. I took it to the shop on Tuesday. Well it's Friday now and they still have no idea of what is going on. Today they said they had a call into Triumph for guidance. If they ever figure it out I'll be sure to post what the problem was.

6. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Techman1, mine is at the garage now. Dropped it off Thursday and they said they would have it for a few days. The speedo problem has miraculously gone but the ringing noise is still there. The mechanic said it was the fuel pump working, which it probably is, but it shouldn't be ringing. I can hear it up to 35mph or so when the engine noise is lower; it's very annoying. Also, I have a rattling noise from under the tank as well which surfaces when the engine speed goes over 3000rpm or so. I've asked them to check the speedo anyhow. Let me know how you go on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Techman1

Techman1 New Member

May 3, 2014
    Finchy, I got my bike back and the Speedo seems to be OK now. The technician said there were some pinched wired and generally not enough room for the wires under the tank. All they did was re-route the wires and it is OK. Of course the engine maintenance light came back on on my ride home from the shop so it will be there again this week. This will be the 3rd trip to the shop in 4 weeks.

8. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Techman1. The speedo problem was checked and it seems like it could have been a problem with water in the ECG, which they emptied. I'm being extra careful when I wash my bike now, not that I wasn't anyway, and it's funny how you had the issue after you washed yours. They continued to say the ringing noise was the fuel pump which was normal, but I didn't back down and said it was like tinutus and it wasn't normal. So they've got me a new pump which will be fitted end of May. Hopefully, it will cure the problem.

9. Techman1

Techman1 New Member

May 3, 2014
    Finchy. Quick update. My Engine Maintenence light immediately came back on on my way home from the dealership. Triumph finally decided to replace the entire wiring harness. It took a total of a month but everything seems ok now. Runs like a beast.

10. Lalit

Lalit New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Gurgaon, Haryana, India
    I am experiencing a similar problem. My Thunderbird Storm ABS is ridden 2700 Kms/ 2 months. I am getting a ticking noise from the engine. The Triumph mechanic told me that he would do some valve adjustments. The valve adjustments did not work, so he finally told me to put a shim to cover the gap in one of the valves !! I am wondering that a new bike would develop such problems ??