Thunderbird Petrol Cap

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Steve822, Jul 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve822

Steve822 Member

Jun 30, 2019
    Scottish Highlands
    Reading the manual for the 2012 Thunderbird 1600 (get it on Wednesday - 2 sleeps to go) it says you just unscrew the petrol cap to fill it up. Does this mean it is not lockable (or is it like some cars where the proximity of the key unlocks it?) and if so whats to stop some ne'er do well sticking a rag into it and turning it into a Molotov cocktail (sorry got a vivid imagination).

• Like Like x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It’s not lockable mate :confused:
    Think @Dozers Dad might have one for sale that might fit your tank:)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Steve822

Steve822 Member

Jun 30, 2019
    Scottish Highlands
    Yes, definitely interested in your cap. If ok, will wait until I've got the bike (should be this week) and then I'll pm you for the price etc - obviously if someone comes in before then for it, I'll understand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Frontlinemedic

Frontlinemedic New Member

Apr 15, 2022
    Yorkshire
    Mine locks. There is a lock under the triumph badge on filler cap, it just swings round to the side!!
    Mine is a 2012 thunderbird 1600

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I suspect yours is an after market fuel cap mate as the original is a screw on which just clicks round when fully secure ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Damien

Damien Recovering sportsbike addict
    Subscriber

Oct 2, 2020
    Carlow, Ireland
    Yeah, the locking petrol cap was an optional extra and is now listed as an "obsolete part". Bloody annoying as I don't have the key to mine. With fuel prices going through the roof I'd prefer the cap to be locked so nobody can nick my fuel.:confused::confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    I think there are aftermarket petrol caps that are lockable. Perhaps this will fit?
    https://bellacorse.com/product/locking-fuel-cap/
    As always, it's a matter of weighing one risk against another. Personally I'd rather lose the petrol than having tank and cap damaged AND lose the petrol.

• Like Like x 1