Thunderbird Nightstorm Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Helmut Visor, Nov 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Having bought my Nightstorm back in Oct, I've not really had much of a chance to do any long rides (apart from picking it up). I'm thinking of putting some new rubber on for next year and wondered what people would recommend, performance vs wear rate etc.
    I have had a bit of a search and see that Avon Cobras are one of the options out there but hoping to get some feedback from those in the know and personal experiences as to what's the best choice.
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Helmut.
    I have always used the Avon's. But your machine is a different cup of tea. So not sure on what's best rubber wise. I am sure one of the peeps will be along soon to have a chat. Probably all getting their meds now..
    Ride Safe
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Trouble is I have only really owned hooligan bikes up to now Joe and swore by Bridgestones, not really got any experience of the cruiser types :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bridgestone's are indeed a top tyre and probably with your bike a good choice. Think it all depends on what sort of riding you intend for the bike. Sometimes its hard to shake the hooligan out of the biker.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. mark scarrott

mark scarrott Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2015
    burntwood
    Hi Helmut

I had a Thunderbird storm and fitted Avon Cobras and they were fab.Plenty of tread and pretty good when I got caught in the rain(not very often)

You will find they are expensive to change as getting the back wheel off is a big job,but other than that it was a great bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Got Avon Cobra's fitted to my Speedmaster recently and they are way better than the OE Metzler's. Previous sport bikes I used Michelin PR3&4 and the avon's give similar confidence levels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    My speedy came with Avon cobras as did my brothers big dog chopper, so they suit a good range of bikes. Have been in some nearly weather over winter and they have performed well. Yet to see full wear as only 3000km so far.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I can't recommend a tyre.I do recommend Oponeo online tyre seller.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I found best price for my Avon's was TYRE TEC £160 for pair: 110/80/18 and 170/80/15

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Got Avons on me Trident. No problems - me likey!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Sorry put the last message on the wrong post

• Like Like x 1
  13. groomsnathan

groomsnathan New Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Iowa
    LOL! I decided to change my own tires this last year on my Storm... And boy was that a B..CH...I quickly realized that next time its well worth the money to have someone else do it. Its hard to get the caliper and tire to line up right at the same time

• Like Like x 1
  14. Night1971

Night1971 Member

May 9, 2019
    Spain
    Alright mate...same decision here...my N-Storm still has its 4 yr old stock Mich Commanders on.... Been looking at the Pirelli Night Dragons...since ive lifted my foot pegs now i have much more lean..... and will ride spirited through curvy roads..... 90% sure these are where im going...revzilla and Fortnine have some good cruiser tyre (tire) reviews and this Bridgestone link from Bennets was useful tech schpiel
    https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...ce/bike-maintenance/best-cruiser-custom-tyres

More tech blurb from a great channel....

Happy viewing mate!

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    A very informative set of videos

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Night1971

Night1971 Member

May 9, 2019
    Spain
    This is a good convincing review -

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I'm afraid I'm a total bore about AVON tyres. They are as good as any other brand I've ridden - which is a coded way of saying that I'm, at best, a fairly ordinary, average rider so I'm not likely to be testing the limits of adhesion of any tyres - and better than most. They are made in BRITAIN, in the West Country, and they support British motor sport. The company provides excellent technical support and is willing to listen to its customers should problems occur - I KNOW this.

I have (or will have) AVON tyres on every one of my Triumphs - Trident 900; Tiger 900 (Steamer) Mark 1 Speed Triples; Street Triples and, if possible, the Meriden bikes, too (TR6; T120; T160). British bike, British tyres.

I have no connections to the company, except as a very satisfied customer, but I'm more than happy to promote the last (AFAIK) remaining British motorcycle tyre manufacturer.

I don't see AVON as a compromise but as a choice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I have a set of Bridgestone Excedras on my 1600 abs.
    They work well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1