Thunderbird Mikuni Pillot Screw Air Or Fuel

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Terry Smith, Mar 14, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Swindon UK
    Is the idle screw on the mikuni carbs a fuel screw or air screw? Its on the Fuel side of the carb, which would indicate it controls fuel but I'm not sure.

Does winding in lean the mixture? And do you have any recommended setting, Haynes manual says to start with one half turns out but is popping and spluting like a good un.

Cheers

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    It’s been a long time since I adjusted a carburettor but from what I remember the IDLE screw only sets the height of the slide to control the idle speed. Hopefully @darkman will be along soon, he has the knowledge on carbs as he rebuilds and sets up lots of carb fed British bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Swindon UK

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Swindon UK
    Thanks for the reply

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Actually now I’ve read your post again it looks like you’re referring to the pilot screw which adjust the amount of air going into the engine at low revs. Each bike will be set slightly different, something like one and a quarter turns from fully in, but you’ll need the proper setting to get the bike to run right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Lol, sorry on this one again as i have no experience of Mikuni carbs :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Swindon UK
    No worries. I'll sus it out by experiementing it should be obvious once I start to wind in and out. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Terry Smith
    You really need to know what is in the carbs as jetting and cut of settings. But usually playing is a fair way to see if it is better or not.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Terry, the one on the fuel side is indeed the mixture screw, if you screw in the mixture screw all the way. (do not tighten the screw as the seat for the screw can be easily damaged), then open the screw 1-1/4 turns, this approximates where the screws are placed when the carb is delivered from the factory. Follow the following sequence
    1 Warm the engine to a normal operating temperature.
    2 Open the air adjustment screw slowly, turning it counter-clockwise, until there is a rise in RPMs
    3 Continue opening the screw slowly until the RPMs peak, level off and then start to drop.
    4 Once the RPMs begin to drop, turn the screw the opposite way until you again hit peak RPMs.
    5 With the RPMs at peak, enrichen the mixture by turning the screw approximately 1/4 turn.
    7 Turn the screw clockwise to enrichen or turn the screw counter- clockwise to enrichen

10. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    This brings back memories of the Mikuni 33mm smooth bores I had on the Harris Magnum I built in '85. Playing around with main jets, jet needles profiles, needle heights etc. What a faff! The pilot air screws on Mikinis control the idle mixture, screw in for rich, out for lean.

11. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I agree, carbs are fine when running right but they can be a right pain when they get worn

12. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I agree, carbs are fine when running right but they can be a right pain when they get worn over time

13. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Just be grateful you not running Amals;)

14. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Swindon UK
    All done. Thanks for the tips. Mixture screw set at 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turns out seems to be about right.