Thunderbird Lt Ecu

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Roy Nelson, Oct 20, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Roy Nelson

Roy Nelson New Member

Oct 18, 2022
    United Kingdom
    :party:
    Hi I’m new to the forum just wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me , when I’ve ridden my thunderbird LT 1700 and stop the engine it won’t start back up again, I’ve been told by a triumph dealer I will have to send the ecu away and have it checked by a third party as they have better equipment to check the ecu with, the engine will start again when I’ve left it for a couple of hours but won’t start again after a ride. I’ve also been told a new ECU will cost over £500

2. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    That sounds bizarre on many levels to be honest. Are you sure the '3rd party' is not Triumph HQ? I can't imagine anyone else has better ability to diagnose the ECU than triumph. Have the dealer tried flashing the ECU yet? By flashing I don't mean exposing themselves, but wiping and reloading the factory settings :laughing:

I've never had an issue like that on my TB Commander. The longer I go without riding it, the more likely it is not to start - I've had fuel 'go off' in the tank, flat batteries, etc. But never not starting after it's been running, if it's warm it'll usually start on the button.

What happens when it doesn't start? Does it turn over, and just not fire up? Could it be your plugs or HT leads (not sure why that would mean a cold start works though!)?

If you were to stall the bike when riding, could you start it straight back up? or is it only when you turn it off by the key, and then back on again? If you don't know the answer, I suggest starting the bike, run it for a while, put it in gear, and slap the kickstand down, that'll stop the engine but the ignition will still be on. After that, take it out of gear and try and start without touching the ignition. If that works, but the same thing doesn't if you stop it with the ignition, it could be something to do with your injector priming. When you first turn the ignition (I think even if the bike had just been running), you should hear mid-high pitch whine, which is the injectors priming. To be honest, I have no idea how the injector priming could prevent a start, but ... it might give you a route to explore.

3. Roy Nelson

Roy Nelson New Member

Oct 18, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Cheers David for the reply I’ve just had the bike back from a triumph dealer it turned out to be the immobiliser antenna coil, had the keys replaced and programmed to the ECU now everything is fine really pleased they found the problem I thought i would have to replace the ECU which would of cost about £1000 fitted thankfully with labour and keys replaced and programmed the cost was £423 thanks to all at triumph Chester