Thunderbird Commander Performance Parts?

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by David Downes, Jul 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Hi all,

I've had my Commander now for 9 month and 2k miles. I've got/fitted pretty much all the accessories I'd actually want :) and am now looking to see what I could do to tease out a bit extra performance - if at all possible.

Plenty of places make performance parts for the Storm, but not (as far as I can see) the Commander. The main one for the storm I've seen is an airbox removal kit, but given that the Commander (and LT)'s airbox is one of the main things that changed from the Storm (and the reason they were both de-tuned from the Storm) it means that kit won't fit.

I've already got the TOR pipes, and the washable air filter, and I'm planning to put a Power Commander on, and get it's mapped to perfection. But before I do the PC, it makes sense to make as many hardware changes as possible, so that it doesn't need re-dyno'ing down the road. So is there anything else I can do to improve performance?

I've heard of people removing the Cat, but actually complaining that that reduces torque, until it gets remapped. It's not clear to me whether or not after re-mapping, did the torque-loss just get restored? or did it get restored, and then also improve beyond original ...

Any help appreciated!

Dave