Thunderbird 900 surging

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Craigx, Nov 30, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Craigx

Craigx Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Hassocks
    The bike starts easily and idles well. Went out for a long run today and she is quite rough below 3000 revs. As soon as you get to 3000 - 3500 she realy runs well. Running at a constant speed of 30 mph in top she seams to have a fast surge. It looks as if i have some dirt or blockage in something other than the main jet. Have fitted new coils and crank position sensor. I would appreciate confrimation on the jet blockage before i pull them off and have a look.

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #2 sprintdave, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    It wont be the main jet that is above half throttle, probably the pilot jets ,not sure but maybe the needles are worn too.Have you tried a couple of tanks of fuel with redex in to clean the jets through,it has helped me in my bike with the low down smooth running. The t300 bikes are known to be a bit iffy and lumpy below 3000 rpm but not surging.
    Is it well serviced with new air filter etc?

3. Craigx

Craigx Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Hassocks
    She has only done 11,500 miles and not due a air filter change to 24,000. I think your term lumpy is more like it is. I have tried redex, but only put in 40 ml for the 15 ltr tank. Is this enough or am i being stingy!!

4. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Hi, I think you have put enough redex in but think you need to do more than just one tank. I have found it made my bike better but use it every fill up now,it takes time to do its magic. Again just because the air filter is not up for a change as far as mileage goes, depending how the bike was stored there could be loads of dust making the mixture rich. When my bike was serviced, the filter had almost a nest of small twigs and fluff in it, new filter made a difference immediately.

Also you may well find that the low mileage is the cause of the problem,old fuel will have gummed the jets up. I would think to be honest that the carbs will probably need ultrasonic cleaning and maybe new jets too.

5. Craigx

Craigx Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Hassocks
    I think you are right. I shall use redex for a few more tanks and then pull the carbs for a service it there is no improvement. Ta.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Craigx

Craigx Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Hassocks
    The problem nearly all went away after i did the tappets. All the inlets were out of spec with two down to 0.05mm. Bike runs much smoother now.

7. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Great news mate. I should have thought about that when you said the mileage, they need checking every 12000.