Thunderbird 900 Range Tuning

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Hydrophobic Membrane, Jul 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hydrophobic Membrane

Hydrophobic Membrane Active Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    #1 Hydrophobic Membrane, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    I'm thinking of selling my Daytona 955i and Speedmaster 865 and buying either a Thunderbird 900 or Legend.

Does anyone know how much more HP/torque the engine is reliably capable of?

I can't find any big bore kits, so I guess it's airbox, pipes, cams and re-jet?

I might consider a Sport if it's possible to get it up to Trident 900 power levels.

Tempted to try a Trident 900 but from what I've read the Thunderbird Sport handles better.

I'd like to end not missing either the Daytona (for it's handling and power) or the Speedmaster (for it's relative comfort and presence).

Don't think I'm ever going to be a fan of the twin engine so a triple it has to be.

Cheers :p

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hi, HM.

Not much wrong with Trident 900 handling, although it may feel a bit soft for some. Been ok for me though for the last (almost) 25 years and no noticeable 'chicken strip' on the back tyre!! Bit top heavy though.

Standard Thunderbird produces 69 bhp (ish), the Sport has 85 bhp or thereabouts. Trident has around 98 bhp.
    Tuning/big bore kits I've never heard of although that's not to say that they don't exist. However, in addition to what you suggest regarding tuning, the engine bore is the same throughout the range 750cc and 900 cc plus the four cylinder variants which means pistons from other models will fit straight in, and comp ratios do vary.

Thunderbird is 10.0 to 1
    All other 900s and 1200 Trophy are 10.6 to 1.
    750 cc Trident/Daytona plus Daytona 1000 are 11.0 to 1.
    900 Daytona Super 111 and 1200 Daytona are 12.0 to 1.
    Not sure about Thunderbird Sport though.

All the above info was gleaned from my Trident Owner's Handbook and Mr Haynes manual.
    So as you can see there is tuning potential. Or just do an engine swap for a 900 Trident/Daytona etc.
    Don't forget that a Thunderbird only has one front disc, so a second one on the front will be more than useful!!!

Hope all this helps.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    Thank you Steve. That's given me some food for thought...

• Like Like x 2
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The biggest HP decider on these motor's is the Cam's , so get the Cam's and re jet the carburetors to suit !

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    +1 on stevethegoolie's post.

But ... if it's not all about outright horsepower and you want that delicious, undefinable but wonderfully pleasurable "grunt" consider a Mk. 1 Speed Triple! It, admittedly, suffers all the limitations of the top heavy characteristics of the early T3s but it has better suspension components to mitigate. Slightly.

[​IMG]

It can make up for most of any "misgivings" on looks and charisma!

p.s. @Col_C 's photograph acknowledged.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    #6 Hydrophobic Membrane, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Thanks for the suggestion. Great bike, but I'd struggle with the seat height and the riding position on longer jaunts.

A Speedmaster with better handling and a Speed Triple lump would be ideal (for me). Wonder if anyone's ever done that?