Thunderbird 900 Oil Filter Small O Ring, Where Does It Go

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bygone57, Feb 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bygone57

Bygone57 Member

Feb 15, 2019
    West Midlands
    #1 Bygone57, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    IMG_1706.JPG Changing oil and filter on my tbird 900 (1999 model) I have all the stuff ready, however looking in the Triumph service manual and the Haynes workshop manual, it is unclear to me where the new small 'o' ring should fit, even on the exploded views it is unclear to me. I though originally it fitted on the top of the fixing bolt, but that has no groove for it. Am I missing something, pictures would be appreciated, or a clear explanation?
    Thanks in anticipation.

Ahhhh! Just discovered where it goes, (I feel such a Pratt) I do hate exploded views, I find them more complicated than their worth sometimes.
    Hope the attached photo is of help to anyone else who may be asking the same question.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bygone57

Bygone57 Member

Feb 15, 2019
    West Midlands
    Well its done, new oil filter, new magnetic racing sump drain plug and 4ltrs of castrol power 1 oil. Drive Chain adjusted.
    As yet, no oil leaks, drained off 4 ltrs of old oil, removed old filter, left over night to drain out. Put 4ltrs back in, will run tomorrow to check for leaks or any other problems.
    I have noticed, that with the correct amount of oil in from standing for a while, and on centre stand, the oil level is covering all of the sight glass?
    Should I have put less than the recommended quantity in, so it is half way up sight glass or stick to the factory spec for this bike, maybe when it's run and oil is passed through the system it may level out, but somehow doubt it?

3. Bygone57

Bygone57 Member

Feb 15, 2019
    West Midlands
    Yes will do tomorrow, when I run it. Thanks

4. Bygone57

Bygone57 Member

Feb 15, 2019
    West Midlands
    Higher than halfway, in fact pretty much as it was before, I know there is only 4ltrs in there and that's what is supposed to be in, so I will leave it.
    As there is no sign of leaks (touch wood) I am not going to try draining of a smidge, don't want to open a can of worms?
    Bike seems to be running well, gear selection seems smoother, it was a little lumpy before, and occasionally missed a selection, but fine now.
    Also adjusted the chain, which maybe psychologically makes it seem a smoother power transfer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #5 sprintdave, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    The chain adjustment does make smoother power transfer if done correctly. I see so many bikes with overloose or overnight chains, it only takes a few minutes as long as your chain and sprockets are good.
    As usual the man, DD was right , check the oil with bike off the side stand but upright, maybe prop it with wood or get someone to hold it, the oil should be halfway up the glass
    Well done, enjoy the ride.

• Like Like x 1