Thunderbird 900 Issues.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by 3'sbetterthan2, May 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 3'sbetterthan2

3'sbetterthan2 New Member

May 24, 2019
    Littlehampton
    Hi All
    Just purchased a 2004 Thunderbird 900 with two main problems.
    Engine noise seems excessive at all times but slightly less at higher revs, I aacould anyone confirm that the snapping alternator bolt was resolved by triumph in 1998 onwards.
    Also low rev riding is poor and it seems to be starved of fuel on cyl 3 as with the choke on it runs and revs better, I'm assuming blocked pilot jet as it has not been used much.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Keith

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Hi. I take it you know that the T300 engines are noisy anyway, think dustbin full of spanners, tho as you say there was an issue with the alternator bolt, sorry I dont know when it was cured fully.
    Seem to recall reading that if it is the alternator bolt the sound goes down if you turn the lights on, may be a way to find out if it's ok or not.
    The bad running may as you say be blocked pilot jet, probably is , haveyou dumped all the old fuel and refilled with fresh, the fuel could be off, could be shit in the bottom of the tank or blocked filter through running low. Try a good dose of Redex fuel treatment in fresh fuel. It keeps the jets clean and I use it regularly in my Sprint.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 3'sbetterthan2

May 24, 2019
    Littlehampton
    Thanks for the reply.

4. 3'sbetterthan2

May 24, 2019
    Littlehampton
    Thanks for the reply.
    I had heard they were noisy but this doesn't sound quite right and I am already finding it annoying. I put some redex in before today's ride 110mls, I think I should have dumped the old petrol as you suggested but the seller kindly filled it up before I collected it and I don't know how much old fuel was in it already.
    Drain it down and start again is a good idea to start with .