Thunderbird 900 - Electrical Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Terry Smith, Mar 6, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Swindon UK
    Has anybody experienced this? When the starter button is pressed the bike turns over nice and easy but the plugs don't spark until you release the button. I'm getting a good spark when it happens and I can get the bike started but its difficult to start. Coils, leads and plugs are all good, hence I'm suspecting its something to do with the loom, kill switch, or side stand switch.

2. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    No, never, and mine is a Tbird too. You may be on to something. Particularly the sidestand switch could be worth to check, as it may have been collecting dirt and grime through a couple of decades.

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Swindon UK
    A bit of progress. I removed side stand switch its potted (sealed) so unlikely any dirt has gotten in there, however, behind the side stand switch is the gearbox neutral switch, which was very dirty - cleaned up the connector. This didn't solve the issue but got me thinking its one of the starting circuits. Now if you pull in the clutch I have a spark throughout whilst its turning over. A bit more investigating to do. :) and will post more as I go.

• Like Like x 2
  4. stevehotshot

stevehotshot Member

Oct 15, 2020
    Chirk
    Hi Terry,old post I know, but did you sort that starting issue? I have a TBS and have recently removed a veto evo alarm, and fitted bridging plug as advised, but tho bike runs, it cuts out when I put it in gear, side stand up, clutch pulled in...?

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    @stevehotshot you might want to contact him directly using the internal conversation mail system or put the "@" symbol Infront of his user name it will trigger an alert in his internet browsing for the forum

6. stevehotshot

stevehotshot Member

Oct 15, 2020
    Chirk

Thanks.. Will do..