Thruxton Thruxton Turn Signal Led Conversion

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Furrygreg, Sep 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa
    I recently bought a showroom new 2017 Thruxton 1200 at a dealer in the USA after seeing the same model while on a trip in England. One of the main differences between the Thruxton sold over in England, and the ones we get over here is, the bikes over in England come with LED turn signals. The ones we get have regular light bulbs. The turn signal housings and light sockets are the same, just different lights. After doing some research, I found that the best choice for lights is from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.COM. The part number is: 1156-CW30-CBT. These are CAN Bus LED's, so they are suitable for the Thruxton. Go around the bike and remove the turn signal lenses by using one hand to hold the backside of the assembly while pushing against the lens and turning it slightly counterclockwise to unlock and open it. Simply remove the original bulb and install the LED light. Make sure the reflector that holds the socket does not fall out. If it does, carefully make sure that the slots in the reflector are lined up with the tabs in the assembly and place it back into position. Make sure the water drain slot on the edge of the lens is pointed downwards. Line up the grooves of the lens with the assembly, and push it in and turn clockwise till it clicks to lock it in position. Turn the key in the ignition to on to power up the system. Put the turn signal switch in either the left or right turn position. You will see that the turn signals flash extremely quick. Turn the ignition back to off. on the left handgrip. Push and hold the gray, "i" button, and keep it pushed in while you turn the ignition switch to on. Watch the screen at the bottom of the speedometer. After a short time, the message, "TYPE" should appear. Release the, "i" button. The message TYPE 1 will appear. Push and release the,"i" button one time. The message should change to, "TYPE 2". Once you see that message, push and hold the, "i" button until the TYPE 2 message goes away. You are now locked into, "TYPE 2". turn the ignition back on and put the turn signal switch to the left or right position. The turn signals should now flash in a regular fashion just like it did with the regular light bulbs installed. Test the emergency flashers as well. They should flash at a regular pace as well. You are now done. You now have brighter and crisper turn signal lights without having to replace the whole system. My four lights were $37.58 total. I like the looks of the stock Thruxton turn signal assemblies, and was glad to be able to reuse them. Hope this helps others that wish to convert their turn signals.

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thebigbail

thebigbail Member

May 31, 2019
    Prince George
    #2 thebigbail, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Thanks for the post. I followed your directions and switched to type2 for my LED’s.
    I installed the clear lens and LED units from the Triumph Bobber. It maintains the classic indicator size, but gets rid of the orange lens which I disliked.
    The cost was reasonable, $7/light and $11/lens. (Canadian dollars)

• Like Like x 2