Featured Thruxton Thruxton So Far

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Kiwidave4, Jul 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kiwidave4

Kiwidave4 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand
    In the two weeks since getting my Thruxton I have had limited ride opportunities due to our winter weather. Means I have had plenty of time to pull bits off it to see what they do, and to finish off the fairing installation which the dealer had done in the way only todays skilled technicians can!

My first ride resulted in paint damage to the tank where my leathers rubbed it. Tomorrow I will pick up a pair of Triumphs overpriced rubber tank pads to fix that. I hope the pads will also give the tank a bit more width. Also marked the side covers with my boots, fortunately they polished up OK and I have now fitted clear film to them.

I added some spacers to the instrument binnacle to lower it a bit further as the screen was obstructing my view of the part of the speedo that most affects ones driving licence here.

After some fairly short rides during the last couple of weeks today was my first chance to get in a decent run, a couple of hours of mixed riding in sunny but cold weather. Seems the Thruxton is pretty much what I wanted, a refined and modern Firestorm with a slightly less aggressive riding position. I currently have the lower clip-ons fitted but have the standard ones to fit if I find it necessary - so far I seem to be OK with the low ones.

I dont much care for the footpegs which are to short for the ball of my boot, and too far outboard. The rubber is far too short, and below the level of the metal parts, so I may have to find something I can adapt to improve comfort and control.

Anyway, it looks drop dead gorgeous, and on my first ride I stopped in a small town to warm up and an old bloke, (better point our I am 71), crossed the road just to look at it and tell me about the Triumphs he rode as a lad.

Here it is this morning -

20170705_104117.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Nice bike mate
    Glad you're having fun :)
    Call that winter?....looks better than our summer :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Ditto as above!

• Like Like x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Looking good

• Like Like x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A trick of the map......

Wellington NZ is about as far South of the equator as Santander in Northerm Spain is North. Edinburgh? We are about half way up Hudson Bay. Dunedin NZ? .......somewhere warm like Bordeaux......
    :cold_sweat:

6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Dave, that really is a beautiful bike you've got there. Initially I thought the silver looked best but having seen yours, in green, I reckon green is the way to go. Just excellent. :p:p:p:p:p

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kiwidave4

Kiwidave4 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Our winter temps here run around the 10-15 degrees C with dips into single digits during southerly storms.