Thruxton Rear Sprocket On A Bonnie

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Howellerman, Oct 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Howellerman

Howellerman Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Hello again!

One of the mods that I really enjoyed making to my 2018 Bonneville is replacing the rear sprocket with one off of the Thruxton. For most of the type of riding I do I felt that I was in the wrong gear much of the time, and that the Bonnie was geared too high. I replaced the stock 37 tooth with a 42 tooth rear sprocket, which is just right for me. A lot of times it is as equally important to see how low in the RPM I can go without straining the engine as much as how fast. And since I have a straight 1:10 multiplier for every gear, I just get 10-percent more torque across the board. RPM, as expected, is 10-percent higher than stock for any given gear, so that 6th is now closer to the stock-gearing 5th.

About the only time I miss the stock gearing is on freeway drones, but I rarely have to do any of those for my "pleasure" riding in and around the South Bay area of San Jose and surrounding mountains.

Another significant change is that the wheelbase is reduced by at least an inch. I have attached a photo to show the change, where the axle adjuster was at the rear of the swing arm in the stock configuration. High speed stability is undisturbed, but in the low-speed twisty stuff I sometimes feel like I am on a big (heavy) dirt bike!

This is a fairly inexpensive mod, too! I paid $45 for the Thruxton sprocket.

Great fun!

WP_20171008_006.jpg

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    Thanks for posting this, good to know you the chain still fits.
    It's the first thing I intend to do to mine and interestingly (or not) it's still geared higher than a stock Thruxton.

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Alternatively and in my opinion a lot easier and less expensive, is to change the front sprocket for one with 1 tooth less.

For instance on Bonnys instead of the std. 18T, install a 17T and you'll have better torque albeit at slightly higher revs per MPH.

4. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    I'm definitely in agreement with you there, a simpler and cheaper way forward to reduce the gearing on almost any modern bike would be to fit a smaller front sprocket - except for when it comes to the T120 which comes with its rear wheel adjusters almost at maximum straight out of the factory - a somewhat unique situation (to put it politely Mr Triumph) !
    Fitting a smaller front sprocket would sit the rear wheel spindle hard against the back of the swinging arm slots and leave the chain in need adjustment.

5. Howellerman

Howellerman Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    In theory I agree with you, but my experience on two of my previous bikes is that any front sprocket less than 18 tooth really accelerates chain wear.