Thruxton Thruxton R Stalling When Hot

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Flashp, Jan 15, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #1 Flashp, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    UPDATE - DEALER FIX AVAILABLE FROM 5th FEB 2018

I have a 2017 bike with only 65 miles on the clock which, when thoroughly hot, has developed a tendency to stall. On my last ride of around 40 miles or so it stalled 5 times without warning in the latter stages of that ride. There's no shortage of owners on Facebook groups who have experienced the same in the UK and the rest of the world. Has anyone here experienced this and pursued it to successful conclusion with Triumph?

I also wonder if anyone has tried to report it to DVSA since it could be argued to be dangerous if your machine cuts out without warning.

Cheers.

2. ThruxM

ThruxM Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Avon
    Hi Flashp,

Yep I've had that kind of problem, but only in hotter weather. Triumph did some fiddling, including balancing the throttles and resealing the inlets. I've not had any hot weather to tell if its fixed. I agree its potentially dangerous, nearly had a car hit my backside. The journalists found this issue on the first ones out for trial so I'm disappointed with Triumph. Take it back in to the dealer.
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. motomi1

motomi1 New Member

May 29, 2017
    Arizona
    That problem has been on US Triumph forums as well but it seems to me that a lot had to do with the fuel pump sub harness replacement on early models. Other replies have been that miles on the clock seem to alleviate the problem. As to heat, I live in the Phoenix, Arizona area and purchased my "R" as a 2016 model in May of 2017 put approximately 1000 miles during the past summer (3rd warmest in Az. history) and had no stalling issues but plenty of engine heat.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steve willis

Steve willis New Member

Dec 7, 2017
    United kingdom
    This problem on seems to affect bikes in the US. Uk model's don't appear to have this problem. You don't want to move to Britain cure this problem as the weather is just so so bad. Good luck sorting it

5. marktriple

marktriple New Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Cheshire
    #4 marktriple, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    The Thruxton doesn't like throttle blipping so maybe that could be adding to your problems?? If you attempt to rev the bike (at a standstill or moving) with short, snappy throttle application, you could find it will either cough or stall. I stalled mine once but dont tend to blip, apart from as I come down through the gears.

Also, a more recent issue I had was that my bike ran perfectly when I was out on a rideout but, after riding back across town and getting hot, I left it on tickover while I unlocked the gates/shed at home. The bike ran for a minute or so then stalled. I started it and it stalled again within a few seconds. I could actually see arcing between the HT lead cap and the cylinder head :eek: It turned out to be some moisture in and around the plug cap. Once hot, it turned to steam, which then caused some arcing. It hasn't done it since. I put it down to me giving the bike a quick rinse before putting it to bed and not drying it thoroughly. I have since used a small amount of heat resistant grease around the plug cap. Could be worth checking, especially if you run the bike in the dark... You'll be able to see a tiny bits of lighting!

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Triunph1902

Triunph1902 Member

Jun 24, 2017
    England
    Hi, I had the same problem on a 2010 Tiger. I think it is hot seizure because the motor is brand new and all the tolerances are very tight. The solution is to go for a long run in the country. Stay out of the city. When you have a few more miles on the motor, the stalling will disappear.

7. Jeff Ross

Jeff Ross New Member

May 20, 2017
    Scotland
    I posted the same issue on here months ago, I reported it to my local dealer 3 times, he claimed to have spoken to Triumph and was waiting on them getting back to him. I’m not holding my breath on a reply

8. Alan Matthews

Alan Matthews New Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Phuket Thailand
    My 2016 R had a problem after a couple of months layup during the wet season. It was badly hesitating under hard acceleration and also stalling at traffic lights.I got it back from the dealers yesterday after 7days of testing. It now seems to be fixed. They replaced the plug caps and HT leads. They inferred that Triumph seem to have a production problem with the plug caps and many were developing faults. Not sure if this is your problem but certainly worth checking.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Triumph have officially released an ECU update that resolves this as of today in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ThruxM

ThruxM Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Avon
    Thanks for the news. Mine died again yesterday. How did you find out about the ECU update? Your dealer?

11. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    No, I hounded Triumph themselves. The dealer hadn't dealt with this issue before me. It seems the dealer network have been poorly informed by Triumph themselves. I also notified DVSA and filed a report since this is an unsafe fault that happens without warning and could cause an accident.

Most bikes will show up on the recall checker on the Triumph site now.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  12. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Just booked mine TTR in for first year service. They are going to perform an Ecu software download with regards to potential stalling issues (foc of course)

• Like Like x 1
  13. ThruxM

ThruxM Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Avon
    Mine is now listed by Triumph for a recall on this issue too. I'll ensure they do it on the 1st service in a fee weeks. Thanks to flashp for your persistence on this one.

14. wizard

wizard Member

guys , if you go onto truimph website click on service support , safety /recall is show just tap you vin into the search and it shows outstanding recalls etc ,i think nearly all r will have the ecu update
    jason

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Agree, but dealer informed me that this is a service recall. (Carried out as part of regular servicing) If bike not being serviced you will need to ask. Don't ask, don't get. You will not be contacted by Triumph ordinarily to rectify this issue.

16. neilbaker99

neilbaker99 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Coventry
    Mines having it done, along with my first service too, just over a weeks time on 3rd March

17. Chris Vandome

Chris Vandome New Member

May 31, 2018
    Truro
    Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. I have been chasing this for a while now. My bike is flagged for a recall and I have spoken to the dealer. Apparently the ECU will be re-mapped and the HT leads also should be replaced as there is a faulty batch that break down when Hot.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jenkspj

jenkspj New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Salisbury, UK
    The recall letter from Triumph said that this was a safety recall and should be done as soon as possible.
    I have to say that I'd had no problems before the recall and none since....

19. ThruxM

ThruxM Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Avon
    My letter was a safety recall. I did have the issue in warm weather last year and I nearly got hit from behind when it cut out while pulling away. The issue seems to be fixed since the recall.

20. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Bit of an update for this...way back when Triumph released the revised map for stalling I had it installed pretty well much immediately and all was good up until a few weeks ago. In the space of around 100 miles or so I had 7 stalls. I contacted Three Cross Triumph here in the UK and arranged to have it looked at. They discovered that the throttle bodies were out of adjustment and duly corrected this which fixed the stalling. I had 230 miles without incident. Moving on from this, I decided to try a booster plug. The reason being that I believed that the bike was somewhat knobled with respect to emissions regulations and could benefit from it. Having fitted it this and ridden 20 something miles I was pleased to find that the bike is smoother in terms of power take up from lower engine rpm in all gears, popping on deceleration is reduced by about 60% and the general impression is one of everything being smoother. I placed the sensor in the air intake and secured with a cable tie by drilling two small holes in the back of the snorkel and looping the tie through the holes.

My bike is a 2017 build with around 1200 miles on it. It also had the EU spec V&H silencers on it.

Just putting this out there for info, no idea if all bikes would respond as well as mine has but it was worth the expense without doubt on mine

• Like Like x 1
  21. jenkspj

jenkspj New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Salisbury, UK
    Three Cross Triumph loaded the map indicated by the "Recall" and it has spoilt the bike: very abrupt transition from closed to open throttle and the bike cut out twice, something that has never previously happened.
    I talked to the guys at Three Cross and they installed a revised map, which improved things a bit, but said that they were expecting a further revision this week. I rode their demonstrator and it was fine, exactly as I remember from my original test ride last year. So it will be back, again, to the dealer.

Have to say that the team at three Cross have been nothing short of super, they seem somewhat frustrated by what is going on. It seems to be a problem exclusive to the Thruxton R.

More news as it happens.

• Like Like x 1