Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Thruxton Thruxton R Power Commander 5 Custom Map

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Flashp, Oct 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flashp

Flashp Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I had the TTR fitted with a power commander and custom mapped Saturday, it was already sporting an X pipe and US spec V&H silencers. The popping on throttle closure has 95% gone (not unhappy about that although I never disliked it) and the snatchy throttle is a thing of the past, although I thought it wasn't too bad beforehand in all honesty, it's way better now and the bike is beautifully compliant on the throttle. A good thing really since the UK weather Saturday in the south was disgusting...extremely wet. The bike was left in road mode and was an absolute peach with town riding and dual carriageway at NSL (~70mph)

Had dry weather today and once I'd got all the crud off from yesterday I had a short run out. Without waffling on I'll just say it feels significantly stronger and more refined. Showing about 52mpg and still rising while not riding particularly gently. MPG log took a battering on the Dyno :laughing:

Prior to this, it had had the 12 minute tune applied a few weeks ago as recommended. For interest I'm sharing the before and after plots. The torque increase across the range is very apparent when it's ridden. Not sure that the 12 min tune is quite all it's cracked up to be. The tech noted that it was getting hotter than he thought it should, all good once adjustments made though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Steveoexige

Steveoexige New Member

May 22, 2018
    Sevenoaks
    Well done those figures look great, especially the increase in torque so much lower down the rev range. Which tuner did the mapping?

3. capt

capt Senior Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    That motor will be so much more pleasant and compliant to ride ! Power everywhere !! And if there is no flat spot's or any snatchy spot's, it will be very smooth handling on any road surface, predictability is a great asset when riding at full throttle / concentration on a windey road.

I find my 09 America is better in this way since getting it "tuned" McCOLL.jpg

4. Flashp

Flashp Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #4 Flashp, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    It's a good wedge of torque across a useful rev range isn't it. Steve Jordan Motorcycles did the work, they're at Great Bookham. Contact details on the Dyno plots ;).
    They actually took a call to quote for the same job on another Thruxton while I was there coincidentally. Mine was the first they'd done although I imagine they've seen this engine before. I arrived at 9-00 and was on my way home by 2-00'ish. Never enjoyed a ride in miserable conditions so much, they're 51 miles from me. :D

5. Flashp

Flashp Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I bet the engineers that design the software would prefer not to be confined with Euro 4 regs. The most disturbing thing about my 'before' map was the overly lean AFR, it's all over the place. There's where damage can happen.

6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Active Member
    Subscriber

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    You’re before AFR would be miles away because the cat had been removed, had you blanked the o2 sensors at that point as the fuel map would be totally confused so I totally understand the messy map.
    The Power commander once set sorts your issues, like you said earlier, don’t get to hang up on Power gains it also applies for the “perfect “ air fuel ratio as when set spot on,like a lot of tuners go for you usually end up with a snatchy throttle response.as the perfect ratio is very close to lean, I personally like my engines set slightly leaning towards the higher fuel less air ratio as this smooths the throttle response right out although not giving max BHP it feels so much nicer.

7. Flashp

Flashp Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #7 Flashp, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    I agree with you on this. On the before AFR trace my point was that many advocate the '12 minute tune' as a solution to setting the tuning straight after a de-cat etc. I don't think this is all it's thought to be, which is what this trace shows. For the before plot the O2 sensors were still in place and connected. My AFR trace on the finished tune is somewhere below 14.7 for the most part so it's probably considered on the rich side. I have a beautifully 'elastic' throttle now and this bias is good for the engine long term.