Thruxton R Metz Sportec M9rr

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by doov29, May 2, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. doov29

doov29 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2020
    Aberdeen
    Hi folks, Ive had enough of the OEM Diablo Rosso Corsas on my TTR. Barely getting over 2000 miles on a rear means they really aren't practical even though I love the grip in the dry.
    I know there's plenty of threads on the subject and believe me Ive been down that rabbit hole for the past couple of days!
    I think I have settled on Metzeler Sportec M9RR as a replacement and was wondering if anyone here has fitted them to a Thruxton? If so how did you get on with them?
    I was also considering the Metz Racetech RR which come as standard on the Thruxton RS but cant see them lasting much longer than the Rosso's.

Any first hand advice on a pretty sporty tyre that will last longer then the Rosso's would be most welcome!

Cheers.

Dave

2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Dave, I have just bought a pair of Metzler M9RRs for my sons Katana 1000 and am fitting them tomorrow, he wanted tyres that lasted longer than either the Supercorsa's or Racetech RR K3s, therefore I knew the M9RRs gave good mileage, with excellent dry and wet weather grip from riding a Speed Triple with them fitted. That said I currently run my STRS on Metzler Racetech RR K3s, it came as standard with a set of Supercorsa's, these lasted little mileage so I went for the RRs, to date I have covered 2500 miles in wet and dry conditions and they behave superb, they are starting to square off a little though. I would not hesitate recommending the M9RRs and I think you won't go far wrong. At the moment I factor in new tyres as part of the running costs and don't bother about cost (though I may change given how everything is spiralling out of control cost wise). The M9RRs can cope with everything you ask from them, they even perform well on a track day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I’m interested in how you get on with your tyre selection for your R, as I will be starting to look to replace mine very soon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. doov29

doov29 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2020
    Aberdeen
    Thanks for the info!
    I ended up ordering a pair of M9RR’s and will be getting them fitted soon.

It’s a shame because I loved the feel of the Rossos, they were outstanding in the dry. I don’t even begrudge the cost of replacing them so often, more the hassle of having to plan replacing them around any long journeys I was doing.
    Glad to hear I can expect more mileage from the Metzelers.

I’ll be getting them fitted soon so will let you know how I get on.
    I’m toying with the idea of heading to the North West 200 next week so they will get a proper road test if I do go.

• Like Like x 2
  5. RetTh'ead

RetTh'ead Well-Known Member

May 16, 2021
    Southern Scotland
    Hello there,
    I would be willing to throw my thoughts into the ring on this subject for riders thinking of changing tyres on their TTR.
    Like many others have said I appreciate that everyone has different requirements from motorcycle tyres in terms of grip, feel, ride quality, wet performance and how long they last.
    To put things in context I have had two Thruxton Rs putting over 28 thousand miles on both. I ride almost exclusively on twisty A and B roads in southern Scotland for pure pleasure. Given the fact that I am now happily retired all rides are at least 100 miles and nearly always on dry roads. I would describe my riding style as steady for an old duffer, enjoying "making progress" on all roads with the aim of having a good ride. Previous to the Thruxtons I have always ridden sportsbikes including GPz750, Katana 650, GSXR750, 916, Fireblade 954 , SP2 , BMW1000RR plus many more in over 40 years of riding. I no longer visit tracks, my reactions and self preservation prevent me!
    On the original Pirelli's ......... 2,500 miles on both bikes before they were squared and steering was badly effected.
    Bridgestone S21.... 2700 miles. Good feel but seemed to take ages to warm up and give me confidence to push.
    Metzeler 01....... 3200 miles Good feel from the off and performed well on the sub standard tarmac of many Dumfries roads
    Metzeler 01SE ....... 3250 miles similar to the original but gave a strange harsh feel through the bars.
    Michelin Road5 ...... 3700miles, the only tyre I would willingly push coming out of wet corners.
    Metzeler M7RR ...... 2800 miles, similar in feel to S21 a bit disappointing overall
    Dunlop Sportsmart 3....3500 miles suited my riding style warmed up well gave lovely progressive feel lasted well
    Dunlop Roadsmart 3 .... 1200miles (sold the bike) second set on new bike 1500miles so far good feel
    No puzzles with chain clearance with any of the tyres fitted
    Maybe some food fro thought/ discussion ?
    Cheers RetTh'ead

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Good range of tyres you have tested. I can see that several appear to stand out as no goers. If you don’t mind me asking which to date is your preferred choice and why?

Cheers

7. doov29

doov29 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2020
    Aberdeen
    Wow! When I asked for first hand advice I didn’t hope for this much info!
    Thanks very much for sharing your experiences with all those tyres.
    Looks like you got on best with the Dunlops. I thought I had seen somewhere that someone had an issue with the rear rubbing the chain so I didn’t even consider them.
    Good to know you can fit them with no issues.
    Bit disappointed that you didn’t get more miles from the M7RR’s. Hopefully the 9’s are a bit more resilient.
    Also good to know they can take a while to warm up, something I’ll look out for. Shame because the Rossos were like blu tac straight out the garage.
    Thanks again for the information.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Wow thanks for the tyre feedback, very comprehensive . This will certainly assist me in the coming weeks to make my choice for my TTr :)

9. RetTh'ead

May 16, 2021
    Southern Scotland
    Hi there,
    No problem, just bear in mind the roads up this way can be pretty shoddy with moderate size crevasses masquerading as pot holes, and washed down gravel around many blind bends after rain. I reckon the roads down your way will be much smoother and more often than not much warmer.
    To be honest if someone was giving me the tyres any of the above would be great!!
    For smiles per £ I would go either Sportsmart 3s or Michellin Road 5s (These are the only tyres I have ever "worn in" on a wet road they felt that good and even when they were worn down to the wear markers they still steered effortlessly)
    The original Metzeler 01s felt much better on poor surfaces and are a close third (I think the 01SE side walls or tread make up are stiffer sending slight vibrations into the bars?
    But if you consider the mileage difference between the best and the worst tyres is less than 40% if you can get the M7rrs or S21s at a discounted price you would be quids in.
    The Roadsmart 3 are a very good compromise ...... but a compromise all the same.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RetTh'ead

May 16, 2021
    Southern Scotland
    #10 RetTh'ead, May 4, 2022
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Hi there,
    I read that on a forum about some Dunlop models in the USA I think? . Both the 160 x 60 Roadsmarts 3s and the Sportsmart 3s fitted well, the tyre/chain clearance was marginal (less than 3mm) but never made any contact with the tyre side wall.
    I always ran the tyres at 34- 36PSi if that would make any difference. According to the garage where I got the tyres fitted their supplier said they were approved fitment to the Thruxton R by the tyre manufacturer.
    Some M7RRs I had fitted to a previous bike, a BMW1000rr, when they were fully warm on smooth Yorkshire dales roads (air temp north of 20C) they were indeed like Blu Tac.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  11. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    I have the M9's on my Thruxton , going strong at 2600 mi .

12. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Thanks for the detailed response I should have said earlier this bike is a fair weather machine only so I’m not considering the wet tbh.
    I find the grip that the Corsas provide is amazing, confidence inspiring and get warm very quick.
    I have not had the pleasure of testing durability so I suppose my next set will either be the same or another that can offer more miles without sacrificing the grip and speed of warming up.
    You are right though more often than not the roads are ok here albeit the number which need fixing is growing.