Thruxton Thruxton R Headers

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Bear, Oct 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bear

Bear Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Indiana
    I was talking to a guy on a triumph Facebook page and he removed his cat but just ran pipe straight from the headers to the pipe before the slip-ons are.

Much cheaper than even a cat delete but without a crossover what could be the issues if any?

Anyone have any ideas? I’m considering this route as it will be 50-75 bucks all in.

2. Bear

Bear Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Indiana
    Also why not just cap the holes where the cat goes in on the current pipe?

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Because you would stop the gas flow where you cap it off I believe. The gas is diverted from the header into the cat and back into the pipe to the silencer as I understand it (don’t own a Thruxton) , hence the cat delete “X” pipe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    I have the Arrow header pipes which leaves the cat in place and comes supplied with circular steel caps to block off the cat. Works well, bike has run like a dream with no issues for 2000 miles and sounds amazing, in fact too loud with the baffles out of the V&H pipes.

There are other manufacturers of the down pipes, just a suggestion but slightly more expensive option than an X pipe or your idea....

Someone told me the standard downpipes have a double skin reducing air flow, never checked .....

5. Bear

Bear Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Indiana
    I’ll have to pull one and check it out. If I can just replace the mid-pipe to the slip-on connector I think I’ll go that route. Worst case scenario it has to get redone and I’m out 75 bucks

6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Arrow headers do exactly what the first question asked, you can’t blank the cap to the cat without an “X” pipe as there is no pipe between the first bend to the cat and end cans. It’s a fake outer of half pipe .
    All I’d say is Arrow downpipes with baffle free cans is mega loud

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Not to mention arrow headers cost about £500 up to £600 depending on where you buy. X pipes are considerably cheaper.

8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Does anyone know what the power difference or losses are for X pipes and straight headers?
    Also I know the Arrow headers come with o2 sensor blanks and direct software changes, do these apply to X pipes
    By the way I’m not selling Arrow downpipes or saying X pipes aren’t better,I’m curious as to the differences.

9. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #9 Flashp, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Couldn't comment on power for Arrow headers but I have a thread in this forum about my Power Commander map and the torque increase across the entire lower rev range is substantial. Whatever you do, don't get too hung up on BHP gains. There's far more to a good tune than that.

I think using straight pipes and doing away with the balance pipe and cat necessitates more complex tuning. A PC5 on it's own allows fuel and timing to be changed. Without a balance pipe they may need to setup each cylinder independantly and an Auto Tune box is required for that. That's my understanding but I'm by no means an expert and this wasn't relevant to me.

10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    That’s exactly was I was getting to,as the Arrow version as far as I’m aware doesn’t need a remap so cost wise they should bothe be very similar X pipe with power commander and straight pipes.
    Only problem is without an explanation of both were scuppered

11. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #11 Flashp, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    There's plenty of annecdotal evidence offered that says remaps aren't necessary for all sorts of mods but my AFR plot for the bike in standard trim other than de-cat and V&H silencers was pretty poor and suggests that these engines benefit from the fueling and timing being revised. I've no idea about the Arrow revision of softwre but I'd be interested to see an AFR trace for it.

This is the stock AFR trace after the '12 minute' tune:
    [​IMG]

And after PC5 mapping:
    [​IMG]
    And here's the torque increase across the low end of the rev range:
    [​IMG]

12. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I’m a big fan of Power commanders, and what they can do not a fan of the Autotune that messed my Daytona up until I removed it

It would be really interesting to get a set of Arrows on a dyno.

13. Bear

Bear Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Indiana
    Just looking into this to see if just replacing the pipe section that connects the rest of the exhaust would be more cost effective than an X pipe. I can get the stainless pipe with the right bend for $50.00

What I dont know is if the factory header is double wall making the ID smaller than what I would be putting on. If so would there be any benefit at all considering the tiny difference in flow to going with a full header system for 10X the money.

Oh decisions.