Thruxton Thruxton R Fuel Connector

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by jeznewsome, Feb 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    OK, I may be a numpty but try as I might I could not part the fuel connector from the rail in order to remove the tank today.

Is there a trick as: 'Disconnect the fuel hose by squeezing the sides of the connector and pulling the hose free from its spigot on the fuel pump rail' doesn't seem to be working for me.

I gave up in the end!

2. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    I have a copy of the manual and tried until my fingers hurt squeezing the exposed buttons.....no joy.

The quick release connectors on my KTM and previously ducati have never been a problem

3. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    Yes that was one of my concerns

4. Kerry Lohrey

Kerry Lohrey Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Tasmania
    I used pointy nose pliers and pushed on the "eye" part of a cable tie on the ends and squeezed the "tabs" on the fuel connector to separate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    hmmmm.....I like that idea, I may give it a try.

6. Kerry Lohrey

Kerry Lohrey Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Tasmania
    I have had my tank off a few times now and works easily.

7. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    You’re not alone mate. As hard as I tried on the quick disconnect coupling that is closest to the fuel rail mine would not come off. I twisted, turned and even bought the special pliers made for the job-no joy. So instead of going crazy which at that point was a very short trip I disconnected the one up there by the fuel pump. I used the same technique and that one came off easily.

8. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    Top idea from Kerry
    Awesome idea. A couple of large 'Eyes' held onto pliers with smaller cable ties and stabilized by some hot glue......connector came off a treat and so much cheaper than pukka fuel pliers (now I know that there are such things!)

[​IMG]

Job done. Thanks again for the idea.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jenkspj

jenkspj New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Salisbury, UK
    I've not had the tank of the Thruxton, but based ob experience with previous Triumphs these connectors can be difficult, but they seem to get easier with use. On the Tiger XC I used a plastic lubricant spray.

One of the techs at the dealership said that this is a common challenge as the connectors are installed at the factory, but not then disconnected...

10. BiKenG

BiKenG Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Surrey
    I concur, these fuel connectors are a right b******d to get off. I've had the same problem with all other fuel injected bikes. I'm sure the designers of these connectors think they've done a great job, but the whole purpose of a connector is that it can be disconnected, otherwise, what's the point.

I gave up on my Thruxton R when I wanted to remove the tank to connect the heated grips. I found I could just prop up the front of the tank and get at the connector. Unfortunately while then tugging the wires elsewhere, the tank simply toppled off the bike (which was up on a lift at the time) and fell about 5 feet straight onto the concrete floor. My brand new Thruxton R. As you can imagine, I was not a happy bunny.

Unsurprisingly the spigot had simply snapped off the fuel rail and after a few choice words I retrieved the tank to discover the seam around the lower edge had been bent on one side at the front and the paint chipped in a couple of places, but the visible surface of the tank was unblemished.

I still don't understand how I got off so lightly but it wouldn't be wrong to say I lay the blame solely on that stupid fuel connector. Had I been able to simply disconnect it, the tank would have been safely on the bench and not thrown 5 feet onto the floor.

Yes I have the special tool to disconnect these couplings, but it's still a major deal and I HATE them with a vengeance. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1