Thruxton R Cutting Out At Junctions

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jeff Ross, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeff Ross

Jeff Ross New Member

May 20, 2017
    Scotland
    Hi all, I've had my Thruxton r for a couple of months now and although I really love it it's been cutting out on me quite often at junctions. It happens like this I'll be dropping the gears and slowing down to a stop, there will be a loud click like from a relay or something and the engine will cut out completely leaving me coasting in traffic trying to restart before somebody tail ends me. Not good as you might imagine, I've told my local Triumph dealer, he checked the bike but found nothing but I called him again today and he says he will talk to somebody at Triumph. This is a known issue as it was happening to some journalists who took the bikes out when they were launched last year.

2. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Ive not experienced this myself (had the TR nearly 18 months & covered 5500 miles) - but good luck getting it resolved & let us know.

3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Seen something like this problem before, but I can't remember where or which bike it related to.:confused:

That's not entirely helpful though, is it? Sorry.:(

4. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    TPS. Throttle Position Sensor
    TPS. New bike take it in. Either Throttle Body Sinc or TPS Throttle Position Sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    How many miles have you done. Mine did it once or twice when I first had it but now very occasionally it makes a kinda 'pop' sound when your going down the revs, you think it's going to stall but it doesn't..

I Used to take mine up to about 5000 revs, quickly close the throttle and pull the clutch in. It should just drop to tick over revs but if it stalls then it needs mapping or TPS as above.

6. ThruxM

ThruxM Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Avon
    So mine has started doing this @ about 3000 miles in. It did it a couple of times in the 1st 200 miles and I reported it at the 500 mile service - reminding them to check the throttle body balance. They checked the fault codes and dismissed it. It's my first FI bike - and my first ever brand new bike (had many great carb bikes for the last 30 years) and I'm not impressed. My FI 20 year old Volvo car (yes a Volvo!) has never missed a beat in 15 years of ownership. Is this really acceptable? FI has been around a long time now and I feel like I'm pioneering something new.

• Like Like x 1
  7. QuickSilver

QuickSilver New Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Hi Guys,
    I have had my R since new from April 2016.
    I noticed this occasionally to start with and mentioned it at the 500 mile service. When they serviced it they upgraded the software version and checked the throttle bodies were synced etc.
    It made no difference. It began to be more frequent. I was asked if I "blip" the throttle when stationary. (I don't, and apparently neither should you, per Triumph). I misunderstood this and thought I was supposed to, so I did and I got quite good at catching it before it died, but it still wasn't right.
    I had it in last autumn for another software update, it made no difference. They also did some other checks. To be fair to my local dealer (Watton, Norfolk) they totally agreed with me and were keen to get it working correctly.
    My yearly service came around at 5000 miles, still no improvement, and they tried a few more things. They were in contact with Triumph during this time, and Triumph definitely know about the problem.
    That brings us to this last June. On one of the hottest days of the year I took a run to Milton Keynes, round trip of about 150 miles. On the way back it started doing it more frequently, until it did it at every junction. I now had had enough and booked it back in to the dealer. Didn't do it on the way of course, and when I got there they took it straight out to see if it would do it when hotter. It didn't. It happens exactly as you describe by the way, loud click, similar to the click it makes when you turn off the ignition.
    They talked to Triumph some more and kept it for a few days.
    They ended up stripping down the engine and replacing all the seals. Apparently if there is a slight air leak on one of these seals, it will do what you and others describe.

2000 miles later and it hasn't done it once.

I am so happy. I love this bike, but I was starting to get fed up with it, and worried for my safety. Like I say my local dealer was co-operative and determined to sort it, but was at the mercy of advice from Triumph to a certain extent. I don't think Triumph wanted to strip the whole engine down, but it seems it was the only cure.

My advice is to keep nagging them, and now this option is out there push your dealer to ask Triumph if all else fails.

Good Luck! Don't give up.
    Regards
    Lee
    PS, I don't blip the throttle now!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jeff Ross

Jeff Ross New Member

May 20, 2017
    Scotland
    Thanks for the reply, Ill show it to my Triumph dealer and see what they say. They said they were going to contact Triumph directly but I've not heard anything back as of yet. I'm not guilty of blipping the throttle either so I knew its nothing to do with that.

9. Jeff Ross

Jeff Ross New Member

May 20, 2017
    Scotland
    They claim to have checked these when I told them about the problem as I put the bike in for its 1st year service, bikes only done 1600mls and is 1 year old.

10. QuickSilver

QuickSilver New Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Same with me, those checks were all done but didn't cure it. I'm sure they do resolve it with some bikes, but for me it was the engine seals.
    Jeff, if your dealer was of a mind to call Ben in the Watton dealership, he would have more info than I do. He is the service manager that I dealt with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. QuickSilver

QuickSilver New Member

Oct 15, 2014
    ThruxM
    It isn't an FI issue as such, even though it may be with certain bikes. Overall FI is vastly superior to carbs in my experience. I rejoice at the thought of never having to tinker with one again!

• Like Like x 1
  12. ThruxM

ThruxM Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Avon
    QuickSilver,

Thanks for your detailed report - sounds like I might well be suffering the same issue. Mine seems more prone to cut out on warmer days and often if its been idling at red lights for a while.

Seems a bit extreme having to strip the engine though to get to seals (intake I guess), but so be it.

I'll get onto my dealer and push them to contact Triumph for case history on this issue if necessary. They can have it for as long as they need to do the job properly once the summer is over.

Otherwise I do enjoy the bike (so different to my old but also loved FZR1000EXUP) and I don't want to lose the rekindled thrill of taking out for an aimless spin in the country in the summer eves and weekends. I get so much attention every time I park up from the general public too! Never had that with a bike before.

Cheers,
    Mark

• Like Like x 1