Thruxton Thruxton R 2016 Tank & Side Panel Removal

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Sonny Burnett, Jan 26, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett Member

Oct 25, 2016
    South East, UK
    Ahead of a change of colour, does anyone know the correct procedure to remove the fuel tank and side panels please?

Promise to post some before and after photos in return!

2. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    Drain tank / run till nearly empty prior to starting job. Remove seat, pull side panels off, if you have the fairing fitted remove indicators brackets (2 x 8mm bolts either side under tank) next remove 8mm bolt and 10mm nut from the tank near where your bollocks would normally be.
    Tilt tank up from there and disconnect the two fuel pump connectors (r/h side)
    Disconnect the fuel pipe (r/h side bit fiddly if you've not done these before) Disconnect the breather pipe (l/h side)
    Pull tank up and back.
    Job done

3. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett Member

Oct 25, 2016
    South East, UK
    Sorted cheers Mentalist! Getting on the job this weekend following these instructions......

4. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett Member

Oct 25, 2016
    South East, UK
    Job done....

IMG_9844.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  5. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Hi Sonny,

....only thing I'd recommend is while you have the side panels off, coat the plastic pegs with some silicone grease and also wipe a bit of the same grease around the rubber grommets where the pegs fit.

This makes getting the side panels on and off a lot easier and safer.....I've found from painfull experience in the past that these plastic pegs can stick in the grommets over time and you can actually break the plastic pegs clean off as the plastic ages.

Cheers,

dickydido

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    Yep, I put a smear of red rubber grease on mine. (same grease as used on brake calliper seals), also put some on the tank locating rubbers on the frame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ffg

ffg New Member

Oct 7, 2016
    UK
    So, what colour is it and what colour is it going to be?

8. jenkspj

jenkspj New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Salisbury, UK
    I see what looks like a radiator header tank down by the footpeg, it must sit behind the heel guard.
    So, do you have to take the header tank off to get at the main sprocket???From the photo it would seem so.
    Anyone know for certain?

9. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Sep 5, 2021
    Thailand
    I've read, the speed twin and thruxton frames are the same. Would a speed twin tank fit on a thruxton r?

10. mjscharlotte1

mjscharlotte1 New Member

Sep 30, 2021
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    I know this is an old post but will this process be the same for a 2016 Thruxton 1200r ? Thanks

11. ThruxR

ThruxR New Member

Dec 10, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    The thread title says exactly that..."2016 Thruxton R". :)