Thruxton Neutral Switch Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Thruccy Sean, Apr 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    #1 Thruccy Sean, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    I've only had the bike a few weeks and this issue has just started to creep in ...

@thebiglad has pointed me in the right direction but just thought I would log the issue here for others too.

So the problem is the bike hasn't been starting 100% of the time when the side stand is down and the bike IS in neutral. Even when I have definitely put the bike in neutral it seems to struggle to decide if I'm in neutral or not, and because of that the safety thingy prevents the bike from starting. I've made a quick video (apoligies for the shaky camera/bad angle) but I think you get the idea. You can see the neutral light on the dash flickering, sometimes staying on and sometimes off all whilst the bike IS in neutral. I'm sat on the bike and move the bike from resting on the side stand, to sitting upright just to see how this affects the neutral switch.

I have no problem starting the bike with the side stand up it's only when it's down it starts getting fussy. This might not bother people BUT I've had the bike weeks, it looks/appears brand new (1 previous owner from new and has always kept in a garage when not in use) plus it cost me all my savings so really I want it to function perfectly.

It's not a bulb issue as this wouldn't affect the actual starting of the bike.

Anyway my first problem was locating the the darn neutral switch. I found it in the end, it's tucked away pretty well but get under the bike and you can see it. It has a rubber boot covering the connecting wire to the actual switch which sits inside the bike.

[​IMG]

I couple of pulls and the rubber boot comes off and I gave the connections a clean with connection cleaner and then a burst of silicone lubricant spray to ward off any moisture that might have been trapped. To be honest everything looked clean and the fit felt good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wasn't able to remove the switch as I need a deep 14mm socket. I'm going to pick one up later and then I'll be able to remove the switch to see what it's actually like.

At this point I re-connected it and 'hoped' that by just giving it a clean my issue would be resolved.

Sadly it isn't and the issue still exists. If after removing the switch later and giving that a proper clean (both ends) if it still doesn't work then I'll replace the part and fingers crossed that'll sort it.

Part 18 here is what's needed.

I'm also going to pick up a torque wrench as I don't want to over tighten it when putting the switch back in. The recommened torque is just 10 Nm.

There's a whole thread about this over on the Triumph Rat forum here, although sadly the links to the pictures are now broken.

Off course if the neutral switch 'isn't' the problem here, then I don't know what it is. So hopefully i'm on the right track.

Sean.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Sean, it looks like you've found the switch, just be ready for an outpouring of oil if you decide to remove it.

3. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Yeah 50-100 ml seems to be the general consensus. I don't think I have a choice though really.

I've tried cleaning the switch (well the parts I can see) and that hasn't worked so I may as well try cleaning the whole thing and then make sure it's put back in at the correct torque. If that fails I'll replace it.

One question though. Apparently the switch actually sits in a pool of oil and I assume this is what pours out when it's removed. Is this just standard engine oil?

So once the switch is put back in I should be ok to just top the engine oil up a little bit?

4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It must be engine oil Sean as that's the only oil that's in yer bike !!!!

5. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Still learning :p

I didn't have a problem pulling my old 125cc Suzuki apart. Just don't want to bugger anything up on this one :)

6. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Well with the girlfriend working and the baby put to bed I thought I'd try out my new 14mm deep socket and torque wrench on this pesky neutral switch. Even if it was dark outside. With some light from my shed, a few torches and a bit of 'what the hell' I'm giving it a go off I went.

[​IMG]

The neutral switch came out pretty easily. Barely half a turn from a wrench and I was then able to turn it loose and free by hand. I had a small bowl ready for the impending oil I had read about but nothing :confused:

[​IMG]

The switch itself was a little oily, but not a drop of oil came out of the hole left in the bike. A bit strange I thought but then not every post I've read about this said they got an outpouring of oil.

Anyway the switch looks pretty clean to me and the toggle button on the top seemed to click in and out as you'd expect. Gave it a little clean anyway.

[​IMG]

Now to put the bugger back in. Was quite fiddly to be honest but once I'd got it to catch the thread in the bike with my fingers the torque wrench (set to 10 Nm) did the rest.

It definitely felt like the switch was more secure now compared to when I removed it. I probably spent the MOST time fiddling around with the wire (encased in a rubber boot) trying to make sure that it was definitely securely fitted to the switch. Without any kind of paddock stand it was an it of a nightmare trying to work in such a tiny little area whilst shoved to the floor.

Anyway with everything back together I tried to fire the bike up. It seemed a little confused at first and wouldn't start. After putting it into first gear with the side stand up, then into neutral I tried again with the side stand down.

I must of fired the bike up maybe 20-25 times and every single time it worked as it should. The neutral light on the bike was bright and strong and didn't flicker at any point, not even whilst revving in neutral which is what it was doing previously.

So I'm going to hold off buying a replacement switch for now and claim this as a small victory :)

As the switch and the connections looked clean I'm going to guess that the switch was maybe slightly loose and this is what was causing the issue.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Looks like you've probably found the source of the problem. Well done!

8. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks I hope so. Bit anxious about starting the bike for the first time after leaving it for a while in case it doesn't start and I'm back to square one.

But guess I won't know until I try!

9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Whoopy-Wooo !!!!!!!!!!

Well done Sean, it's satisfying fixing stuff on your bike isn't it ?

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Just a thought Sean, do you use the start control each and every time you start your bike - irrespective of warm or cold ? If not, consider reading the passage in your handbook. It states something like "For cold starts pull the start control knob to the second position; for warm starts pull the knob out to the first position".

11. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    It does :) I've fixed stuff before on my old bike but I tell you what was nice this time, actually waiting and buying the right tools for the job rather than just jumping right in and making it more difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I've barely used the choke to be honest.

It's been relatively warm since I've owned the bike so have always just tried to fire it up first time with the choke all the way in. Which had seemed to be sufficient.

If the handbook states otherwise I'll start using the choke regardless of warm weather :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    After tinkering with the neutral switch on Saturday evening the bike had been left covered outside until this morning. With the choke pulled out to the first position the bike started up perfectly first time, left it in neutral for a bit and rolled the throttle to see if the neutral light on the dash flickered at all. It stayed bright and strong, no flickering at all so I think we have a winner, I reckon the switch had just come a little loose :)

• Like Like x 3