Thruxton Thruxton 900 new tyre dilemma

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Ian Birch, Nov 29, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ian Birch

Ian Birch Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Great Harwood, Lancashire
    Hi there. Thruxton Ace is now 2 years old and needs a new set of boots. I'm tempted to get some sticky stuff as I'm only doing 2000 miles per annum on this bike ( also ride other bikes ). Any suggestions on good sticky tyres please?

2. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    I've just had a new pair of tyres on my 2008 Thruxton and gone with the original Metzelers. Found these to give excellent grip for my style of riding wet or dry during 7000 miles use. Paid £205 fitted at my local bike shop.

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    sorry ian. I have metz on mine at the mo with some avons standing by. I wouldn't know the stickiness of them though but

4. superbikerider69

superbikerider69 New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Tamworth
    Hi all - i am new here!

I am in the same boat - i have a 2006 Thrux with standard Metz at the moment and i don't like them.

The back needs replacing and i'd like to do the back and front at the same time with some new rubber.

Anyone go with something different? I've looked through other forums and seen a few mentioned - Avon Roadrunners, Bridgestone BT45, Pirelli Demons

Also seen that going up to a 150 on the back is ok on the standard rim - is that ok - anyone done it?

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I used two sets of Avon Roadriders AM26 on my T100 and found them excellent in all respects !!

6. superbikerider69

superbikerider69 New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Tamworth
    Thanks for that - any experience of the BT45's?

7. andy56

andy56 New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Yes I'm using BT45 at the moment and finding them very good I have gone up to a 140 on the rear but keep the standard size on the front I was a bit dubious as I've always used metzlers I'm running a 2007 Thruxton and have used tires metzler since new and only changed last year to BT 45s

8. Terry

Terry New Member

Apr 29, 2015
    kent
    Very pleased with Grip of Continental Road Attacks, std sizes

• Like Like x 1
  9. andy56

andy56 New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Yes running BT45s , find them a good stable tyre, which wear about the same as origanl fittment. They are a getter looking tyre on the bike, oh the rear I have gone up a size to 140.

10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    No dilemma for me mate, go for Avon AM26 back and front. If you put a wider tyre on the back, you will slow up the steering a bit.