Thruxton Thruxton 900 Brake's.

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by tappers, Jun 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tappers

tappers Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    a bit of advice needed, i have a 2015 triumph thruxton 900,i've never found the front or rear brake's that good, god forbid if i needed to stop in an emergency.i know the front is inadequate due to a single disc, has anyone else found the brake's a bit dodgy, i may replace the pad's front & rear to see if it make's a difference,any recommendation's in the brand i change to.

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    EBC HH

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tappers

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    no it hasn't got draded hose's, that may be a good idea.
    EBC DOUBLE H PAD'S are ordered, i expect to receive them on thursday.many thank's MickEng for the head's up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Are the braidings hidden for that retro look?

5. tappers

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    I dont think they are braided hose's as standard.i will see how the EBC pad's go.if no joy i will look at braided hose's.

6. tappers

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
  7. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    HI tappers.
    I've just bought a 2013 bonneville se. Exactly the same issue with underwhelming brakes. Not sure about your Thruxton but the bonny has a tiny front brake fluid reservoir. I don't think it's big enough to apply enough hydraulic force to the pads.
    Anyhoo, would you please post up how you get on with EBC sintered pads. I had them on my last bike a 1050 tiger and they were excellent. I hope they are capable of improving the twins brakes.

Cheers JJ

8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I fitted EBC HH to my 2012 Bonnie about 3k miles ago.
    No problems, but I am not a constantly hard braker, They certainly do the job if you need them though.
    Some forum members have reported that they can wear out the discs, maybe if you are using them hard all the time ?
    If that is how I rode I would probably stick with organic pads and change them more frequently rather than changing the discs at > £100 a go.
    I prefer to use engine braking, which the Bonnie is brilliant at.

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Slightly bemused by some of the comments. The hoses ARE braided and the size of the reservoir has NO bearing on brake performance. That is a function of the master to slave cylinder ratio.
    The brakes are quite adequate but do benefit from a little love to work at their best. Much depends on expectations and experience and after a sports bike with twin discs it may seem a bit limp but the chassis, tyres and fork dive are themselves limiting factors. I don't find any substantial mis-match.
    If your brakes are spongey you have elastic air in the system. If they lack bite you may well have glazed discs and pads. Using sintered pads (small metal particles bonded into the friction material) you get more friction but slightly faster disc wear.....pretty negligible. Personally I favour organics for feel but they require 10-15% more lever pressure to achieve the same effect.
    What to do? Get some brake cleaner (or nick SWMBO's nail varnish remover) some fine wet & dry sandpaper, kitchen roll and copper grease. Remove the pads and give them a light sand. Remove dust with acetone/brake cleaner. Set aside to dry. Polish up the locating pins with paper orcsteel wool. Sand both sides of the disc and clean off. Reassemble lightly greasing pins and the caliper fingers and piston where they contact the back of the pads. Now carefully bleed the brakes. This is often where the problem lies. I won't teach granny as there are plenty of vids available if you are unsure.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Slightly bemused by some of the comments. The hoses ARE braided and the size of the reservoir has NO bearing on brake performance. That is a function of the master to slave cylinder ratio.
    The brakes are quite adequate but do benefit from a little love to work at their best. Much depends on expectations and experience and after a sports bike with twin discs it may seem a bit limp but the chassis, tyres and fork dive are themselves limiting factors. I don't find any substantial mis-match.
    If your brakes are spongey you have elastic air in the system. If they lack bite you may well have glazed discs and pads. Using sintered pads (small metal particles bonded into the friction material) you get more friction but slightly faster disc wear.....pretty negligible. Personally I favour organics for feel but they require 10-15% more lever pressure to achieve the same effect.
    What to do? Get some brake cleaner (or nick SWMBO's nail varnish remover) some fine wet & dry sandpaper, kitchen roll and copper grease. Remove the pads and give them a light sand. Remove dust with acetone/brake cleaner. Set aside to dry. Polish up the locating pins with paper orcsteel wool. Sand both sides of the disc and clean off. Reassemble lightly greasing pins and the caliper fingers and piston where they contact the back of the pads. Now carefully bleed the brakes. This is often where the problem lies. I won't teach granny as there are plenty of vids available if you are unsure.

11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I should add that new brake lines are possibly worthwhile after about 5 years when the originals will have de-natured somewhat and become slightly elastic.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Yes!

13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Just to teach Granny - a good tip with Bonneville/Thruxton brakes when bleeding is to work from the top. That is bleed at the banjo connection at the master cylinder before you bother with the actual bleed nipple. These are particularly susceptible to trapping air on this model - bleed using normal process and carefully undo the nut - you should get a good "fizzing" of bubbles around it - do this several times and you will feel the lever tighten before you even start on the nipple. (oo er missus!)
    If you have drained the fluid or changed brake line then remove the nipple first and spread a thin layer of grease around the thread (avoiding the hole) to stop air leaks whilst bleeding. Finally, tie back lever to the bars and leave overnight or even better for 24 hours to get rid of microscopic bubbles in the system.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Thanks for chipping in! I endorse all you say. For bikes I have a large syringe begged from my local vet with clear tubing and work the other way to push air from South to North. Either way, greasing nipples is an essential precursor etc., :confused:

For cars it allows one man bleeding and prevents air getting in from below :neutral:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham

Thanks one and all for the sound advice. Not sure about tappers but just wanted to say I haven't got a spongy lever at all. It's really firm. The front brake just feels wooden and ineffective. Will definitely have a go at de-glazing the pads before I try the ebc's. Thanks again for the " How to ", very useful.

BTW, tappers, sorry mate no thread hijack intended.

JJ

16. tappers

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    no prob's.i fitted the EBC HH front pad's (FA214/2HH),i never bled the system, tried all the thing's in the comment's in other post's a while ago & i didn't find the front brake any good what so ever,the EBC HH pads seem 100% better & they've not even bedded in yet,as for them being to hard on the disc doesn't really bother me.i don't yank on the front brake any way, it's just nice to know ,that if i need to apply the brake's in an emergency they will work,it's the best £17.12 i have spent.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    That's good to hear tappers. My pads aren't glazed so EBC it is. Think I will do the back at the same time.
    Thanks for posting your findings.

JJ

18. tappers

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    i got the front and rear pad's from sportsbikeshop.co.uk £17.12 for the front and the same for the rear,'ve only fitted the front so far,'ve read some where the EBC HH pad's are to severe on the rear disc.i can't see it being a problem as long as you brake easily,i'm not one to leave it till the last minute and slam the brake's on, i will fit the rear to see if they improve the rear, more than happy with the difference the front have made.let me know how you get on.

• Like Like x 2
  19. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I changed front and rear at the same time, 3k ago, no issues at all and brake marvellously.