Thruxton Thruxton 1200s engine case corrosion

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Martin713, Feb 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Martin713

Martin713 New Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Devon
    Hi all anyone having issues with corrosion on there engine cases , my 1200s has done 1400 miles , not seen rain only some light spay and hasnt been out since Nov , today i find corrosion on both side cases and carb/injector bodies.

Cheers Martin

2. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    Howdy Martin , what sort of corrosion ? I know the intake ally has a poor finish, it beats me why they'd leave it like that. I polished mine last week.

3. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    Do you wipe them down with a light oil?
    The cases are bare alloy and will naturally corrode if not treated. Polished regular

4. Martin713

Martin713 New Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Devon
    Hi Wag & mentalist thanks for the replay i will polish the hell out of them lol I thought they where protected doh!

5. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Hi Martin,

Yeah, get plenty of ACF50 on it, or regular coatings of Scottoiler FS365.

6. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    I think the rims are lacquered tho....

7. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hi Martin
    Polished up my cases using a buffing machine and metal polish, then finish with auto glem metal polish, its not quite as harsh as auto solve but you can use that in betweent the metal polish if you want to be really fussy. Once you can see your face in them, it is just a case of using auto glem resin polish when cleaning the rest of the bike. Did this on my old Bonnie and 3 1/2 years on and she still looked like the day I did them, pictures are on here in the Bonnie section.
    Throttle bodies took them off and painted black, pictures are also on here and it shows up the writting much better.
    There now you can tell the misses what you are doing this weekend. Have fun.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lcm7lee

Lcm7lee Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Peterborough
    Was it a simple job getting the throttle bodies off ?

9. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Yes, 4 or 5 mm alen key I think, put some masking tape on the under side of the tank rib so as not to chip or scratch the paint with alen key. Two screws hold on front cover sprayed them using harley exhaust paint , then with a block gently wet flat over writing to take off black paint to leave it silver on black.

10. Lcm7lee

Lcm7lee Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Peterborough
    Yeah I just seen what you done,I thought you had completely painted the throttle bodies by taking them off the bike,didn't realise you only part painted them

11. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Ya the main body would be more of a problem, but I thought it gave a better contrast.

12. Garydiesel

Garydiesel Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Bangor, North Wales.
    Yep, cases on mine have corrosion pitting after 6 weeks.
    This was in November, long before they started gritting the roads.
    I must admit, as the engine cases are a "satin" finish, I assumed they were lacquered. Bit disappointed.

Anyway, I've taken off the coolant tank cover, polished that up and coated it with everbright.
    By the time I had polished out the pitting, the satin finish had more or less gone, so it's just an old fashioned polish now.
    The little boot guard is a pressing, and seems to be more corrosion resistant that the casting. The pressing only needed a light buff to clean it up.
    Looks not too shabby, despite the dog hair that appeared in the everbright o_O!

At least I know what I've got now, and should not have to touch it again for a long time.

So, next job is the two engine cases.
    Is there anything in particular I need to look out for when removing these?
    Are there any gaskets or O rings I should get for reassembly?
    I'll ask this question on the Techy forum as well.

Appreciate any ( hopefully positive!) feedback.

Thanks

20170308_111425.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lucky

Lucky Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Ripon UK & Limoges France
    Very smart. How did you remove the pitting, Scotchpad or something else?

14. 100thmonkey

100thmonkey Active Member

Jun 17, 2018
    SW1A 1AA
    Ive powder coated mine. Problem solved