Throttle body corrosion.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by tj2, Sep 21, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tj2

tj2 Member

Sep 21, 2016
    nowhere
    New T120 Black, throttle bodies corroding/pitting.
    yes used in all weathers, yes parked outside.
    I have seen it on demo bikes at dealers, and also on a thruxton at an independent (700 miles)
    Mine was showing before 1st service and reported then.
    Its getting worse. Not something I would expect from a bike costing £10,000 with a few accessories and a UK brand............
    Anyone else?
    Cheers Terry

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    If you are keeping a bike outside then you should take extra measures to protect it like spraying as many parts as you can with WD or similar ;)

3. mixifix

mixifix Active Member

May 7, 2013
    mansfield
    Triumph used to say that the bits are tested in all conditions I had a t100 from new its chrome was not good after 800 miles this not left outside cleaned every time it bad gone out,when I mentioned it I was told the bikes had been put on a competitive market pmsl

4. tj2

tj2 Member

Sep 21, 2016
    nowhere
    I leave my new car outside also....... NO corrosion on the exposed alloy (16 plate skoda)
    The first 5 weeks and 600 miles of its life, it was kept garaged and dry.
    The alloy is bare.... NO laquer or protection at all.

The corrosion could be expected of a bike a couple or 3 yrs old, NOT 600 miles
    Not happy

5. mixifix

mixifix Active Member

May 7, 2013
    mansfield
    You tell triumph m8 best of luck

6. tj2

tj2 Member

Sep 21, 2016
    nowhere
    As I have not heard back from the dealer, (Not Staffordshire Triumph) I am going to call them there Hinckley people and see what they have to say about it...

(little bit of foot stamping going on there)

• Like Like x 1
  7. darkman

Oct 26, 2015

Bikes have always been more prone to corrosion than cars in my experience, not something that should be in this day and age but a fact :-(. I spend far more time cleaning my bikes than i do my car lol

8. tj2

tj2 Member

Sep 21, 2016
    nowhere
    Ok had a chat with the factory today, they have requested photos etc to be mailed to them.

Will keep you updated

Terry

9. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Bmw have been known to be shite too on their finishes so what hope is there for others. Like Darkman said, bikes just ain't as good as cars.

10. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Heard second hand of similar corrosion here from someone who did a long tour on one....not good.
    In fairness to the factory and Newcastle Triumph they changed my tank without a fuss when I found some odd paintwork damage so hopefully you should get somewhere

11. tj2

tj2 Member

Sep 21, 2016
    nowhere
    DSCF1509.JPG DSCF1511.JPG DSCF1512.JPG DSCF1513.JPG DSCF1514.JPG DSCF1515.JPG Heard back from the factory... "minor tarnishing" apparently, but they will look at ways of making them more "resistant" on future bikes.
    I feel that I have been fobbed off

Pictures show what I'm on about. Note NO corrosion on the trims or on the shock tops

12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I would keep up your fight and go higher up if I were you, those parts look like they've spent 10 years on the sea front

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    If thats minor now, what will it be like after 6000 miles! i can't understand why manufacturers don't put more thought into protecting the metal,,maybe us punters arn't complaining enough

• Like Like x 1
  14. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    But still not acceptable on a new bike in my view, by the time the warranty has expired you will have nothing more than a pile of oxidised aluminium. As Dougie said above complain more :)

15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    My Bonnie is 4 years old now and when I got it a year ago it was immaculate, I used it a bit through last winter and bitterly regret not lathering it in WD40 or similar.
    All the aluminium bits, the chrome and the zinc plate suffered.
    I have managed to polish most of the weather damage out but know that if I am not constantly protecting and cleaning it will quickly deteriorate.
    Very poor quality which Triumph should look at improving.
    Anodise the aluminium parts or at least lacquer.
    Zinc plate and passivate the nuts, bolts etc. to a recognised speification or use stainless steel.
    Chrome plating to a recognised specification not just a shiny in the showroom chrome finish.
    Bit of extra cost involved, but as the advert says "we're worth it"
    I am sure there is enough profit margin within £10k for Triumph not to "tarnish" their reputation.
    I plan to use either Scottoiler or MucOff sprays all through the winter and keep a close eye on things.
    Still love the bike though!

16. tj2

tj2 Member

Sep 21, 2016
    nowhere
    So who next to complain to?
    Trading standards is one thought, possibly with the threat of rejecting the bike as unfit for purpose (don't want to but its my 10k)

Who else is there to go to but the factory?

17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Look at this thread, social media and the head honcho is the way to go

18. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Looks like one step too far taken to make the bike look authentic old style triumph! Been using the original left over aluminium alloys from the old factory ? We don't want to go back to daily maintenance and polishing ?? Or do we ?

19. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hope you get more joy than I have on shock adj issue if you do like Crispey says and go higher up. I have the Thruxton and love it, but on what is small issues, Hinkley not the dealership are a disgrace as far as customer service goes. You like me feel fobbed of and this is the worst place to put a customer.

20. tj2

tj2 Member

Sep 21, 2016
    nowhere
    Well after a second attempt at warranty through a dealer, I have now been told that this is a cleaning issue...............
    Great! Now we have some salt on the road they have even more excuse to fob me off.

Please can anyone who has this same issue with throttle body corrosion (however minor) post here so triumph can be informed of numbers.
    It needs sorting.