Scrambler Thoughts Regarding Fuel And Air Mixture...

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by CatchingAnUpshift, Mar 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CatchingAnUpshift

CatchingAnUpshift Active Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Can a 2017 (Fuel injected) California bike switch from stock exhaust to aftermarket and plug the sensor holes on the exhaust? It does not throw any codes on the speedo. It does pop occasionally due to the "Off" mixture I am assuming but couldn't I get the bike remapped to make it run better like a 49th state bike?

The California bikes are mapped to "suck". While plugging those holes and just remapping it correctly, couldn't that increase some small horsepower gains for me?

Having issues finding anyone with a current EFI map for this full system exhaust I put on and the sensors wire are hanging in my way. Wondering if I could just eliminate them and gain horsepower at the same time?

I welcome questions and opinions.

Thank you.

IMG_1505.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    CatchingAnUpship
    Yes get some one to do a race tune. But you know they do pop a bit when you delete those air sensors. And the bike should self adjust after a few starts. Also if no fault codes are showing I would think you have mastered it. Cracking machine by the way. The inmates here will appreciate that colour. Nursey will surely get some rest tonight.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    You may find what you are looking for on 'tuneecu' which has various mapping alternatives available. More than that I don't know - I have carbs and am pretty incompetent when it comes to computers etc. Apparently you do need a good quality cable between your laptop and the bike.
    Good luck - and welcome!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. CatchingAnUpshift

Feb 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Thank you. Checked out that site previously and feel that it has not been updated in quite some time. I am not feeling comfortable putting my motors trust in it. The quality cables are for sale on Amazon for less than $30 when I checked in case you need one. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #6 Sprinter, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019

The tune ecu website?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuneecu
    Is this modern, although I dont know if your bikes on the list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CatchingAnUpshift

Feb 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I'm not seeing my bike on the list.

I just went out and took out the new full exhaust 2 block off plugs out of the exhaust. I then unplugged the 2 EFI sensors from the other end, twisted them in and then re-ran through, clipped them down, and plugged them back in to the electrical ends.

Almost midnight here so I cannot start it up without pissing off my neighbors. Gonna wait to morning to see if it runs without the popping.
    (I previously ran it in the driveway with the sensor holes plugged with bolts and EFI sensors not plugged in) There were no "Check engine" lights or anything, just lots of popping. A Mechanic friend said if I rode it, it would have popped on a light though.

Allegedly the newer EFI bikes "ADJUST" by themselves to the aftermarket exhausts according to a few sources. (This is crazy to me because I come from other bikes in which I always had to remap and use power commanders.

We will see in the morning!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CatchingAnUpshift

Feb 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Started her up and took her to church this morning. Sounds fine but there is still popping on downshift and when I match revs on downshifts. I like the sound without the baffle so i will have to figure out next whether I need to Flash this ECU or will need a Powercommander.
    Opinions are always welcome.

_PAP9734.jpg

_PAP9735.jpg

_PAP9736.jpg

_PAP9737.jpg

_PAP9738.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi mate, I didn't quite understand which sensors you're talking about but I'm assuming you're talking about an 865cc Bonny? Even though you refer to it as a 2017 model. That picture appears to show a pre water-cooled version?

In which case there would have been 2 x O² sensors in the down pipes and in addition two air injectors (for the SAI system) in the heads.

As you have changed the full exhaust system I'm guessing there was nowhere to reinstall the O² sensors? So did you put any dummy plugs in the ECU to O² wiring?

Also, the popping on over-run is usually solved completely if you block or remove the SAI. The visible parts are the chrome injectors on each cylinder head.

https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/triumph-scrambler-865-efi-tunes.php

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. CatchingAnUpshift

Feb 28, 2018
    Los Angeles

I have a 2017 Triumph Scrambler 900. It has two screw in sensors that go into the exhaust. (New and Old exhausts do). I have never had a Bonny before and this is my first Triumph so I am a little lost as to where the Bonny reference came from.

I switched out my stock exhaust to a High Desert TEC full exhaust. Was just trying to figure out the Air/Fuel mixture so it would not throw lights, pop, backfire, or blow up my motor.

I installed the sensors into the new exhaust. Still pops. Trying to sort it all out so I can remove the baffle for a better sound.

My conclusion is I will need to get a power commander or flash the ECU for an Arrow full exhaust map. (Closest exhaust map for their TEC exhaust from what I hear)
    I am just trying to find that map right now for a nice deep, not popping exhaust on the bike.

Thank you for the link...Gonna check it out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    1. To sort out the popping you will need to remove the SAI system as I said before. When you do this it will throw up error lights UNLESS you use a blanking plug to fool the ECU into thinking the SAI is still in place. Or you can use TuneECU (a free to use program) to change the SAI configuration in the ECU std. map.

2. To optimise the fuel mixture I need to ask you another question: have you changed anything on the inlet side of the engine? For example changed the air filter for a freer-flowing one? If the inlet side is std. you won't need to remap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    As said it will be the air injection that's causing the popping, as for the exhaust it sounds like you may have unplugged the lambda sensors which wont do much but may ruin the idle as they are only used on low load/rpm about 1800 i believe, the ECU is not capable of self adjusting for fuel/air mix it would need live wide-band feedback to do that...the exhaust may make very little difference to the mixture but check you plug colour at higher RPM IE cut the motor without letting the engine idle (old school)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CatchingAnUpshift

Feb 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I have not changed any air mixture by touching anything regarding the air flow. Stock motor.

I have looked into TuneECU but all the maps seemed to be pre-historic and the site not updated. Not sure I trust it with my new bike. Looking for someone who currently has a map and will let me download it from them instead.

It's interesting how so many opinions are all over the place with this 2017 Triumph Scrambler. A triumph mechanic told me that the 2017 corrects itself so if I plug in the sensors to the new full exhaust, it will correct itself.
    I can't say I believe him due to the fact that it sounds the exact same whether the sensors are plugged into the exhaust or not. Lots of popping on downshifts.

End result......I will somehow find someone with a 2017 that has an Arrow exhaust or TEC and willing to share the map with me. I will buy a PC cable and download it from someone's PC and remove the baffle from the exhaust. I will warm it up, carve a canyon, and downshift through all the corners listening for extreme popping!!

14. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

As already said the popping is due to the air injection that Triumph use see video,
    If you have removed the plugs to the in exhaust lambda sensors it will only stop idle and low load closed loop fuel adjustment up to around 2'000 RPM
    AFAIK Triumph have not migrated to full time wide-band lambda feedback ( but do ask Triumph USA themselves for more info)
    The exhaust itself is not the cause of the popping (although may contribute due to it design)
    To achieve any improvements the exhausts may provide(if any) you will need a remap however the likelihood of the exhaust causing mixture problems is slim unless it provides almost straight through path as you will undoubtedly have a cat fitted in the US, for now i would just resist using WOT or high load until you have a map.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CatchingAnUpshift

Feb 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for posting the video. That guy is pretty awesome. Good videos. Lots of good info in them. I think I will try a re-map first and if still popping all the time, start yanking out pieces!!!

16. CatchingAnUpshift

Feb 28, 2018
    Los Angeles

I have decided on this weekend's activities.....

Report back on the popping after I perform surgery on my bike and remove some excess fat.

• Like Like x 2
  17. CatchingAnUpshift

Feb 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Procedure done. Remapped, Bike is amazing now. Peppier, and no popping even on the downshifts.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Glad to hear its sorted fella.:)

19. David

David New Member

May 26, 2014
    Hi,
    what remap have you used?
    What other mods have you done?
    Has it smoothed out the low rev response on the throttle?
    Thanks.

20. CatchingAnUpshift

Feb 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I have the Arrow Full 2 in 1 map.
    No engine mods except for removing the crappy CA emissions bundle like the video above that shows Delboy doing it all. Only have 1500 miles so most mods have been aesthetic to this point and I don't want this bike as my fast bike. This is my "Posing" bike to not even lie. I bought it to have a good looking bike unlike my other track bikes that were always being thrown around at high speeds. Lol