Thinking Of Upgrading

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by AndyGuy, Dec 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AndyGuy

AndyGuy Member

Nov 27, 2020
    County Durham
    Hey newbie to the site and biking really, but earlier this year bought my first 2010 street triple r ...... which to be honest has me hooked hence thinking of upgrading already .....

what year and which model ST was the TFT first released on as I like it
    But
    I am really drawn to the RX that is silver tank with bold red wheels

Wondering if it would cost much for me to upgrade from the bike I have ? And open to peoples thoughts on the RX and TFT screen

thanks in advance I’ve found this forum really helpful

2. AndyGuy

AndyGuy Member

Nov 27, 2020
    County Durham
    Forgot to add this is my beaut

2081F695-397B-4FCB-AC64-E4AF5076A910.jpeg

• Like Like x 16
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #3 Sprinter, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    You would need confirmation, I think 2016?????

Edit. may only be certain models???

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Your bike looks fantastic, so unless you are having problems I would keep what you have....

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Triumphal385

Triumphal385 Active Member

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
    If you like nakeds, there seems no reason to change.
    I've learned, at great cost, love who you are and what you have.

The idea of unnecessary change and expense, is a recepie for misery and perpetually unsatisfied appetite. Don't get suckered in!

Enjoy and develop your riding skills, without wasting your hard earned money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    The street triple I think has consistently been triumphs best offering, best bang for your buck and most fun bike they make. Its a brilliant machine! I love them. I'm not actually that keen on the daytona rear end mated to it on the RX though. It looks a bit like an afterthought, a way to clear the parts bin and inflate the price by calling it a limited edition. Yours is a much nicer looking bike IMO. The 13+ models may have a bit more bhp but they also have a taller 1st gear meaning it might not feel like the hooligan yours is.

Edit, I don't think the RX has the TFT dash either, you'd need to go to the next generation R or RS to get the TFT dash.

• Like Like x 1
  7. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Looks like you already have two bikes :) nice bike by the way

8. AndyGuy

AndyGuy Member

Nov 27, 2020
    County Durham
    Thanks for everyone’s comments as am sure you have more experience hence me asking the question ..... I’ve found it’s a good place to learn here

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Lovely looking bike.
    Do you do your own maintenance? If you change to a later bike with more electronics this will become more difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AndyGuy

AndyGuy Member

Nov 27, 2020
    County Durham

I am comfortable with basics of oils and filters and chain so on but nothing complicated I would say but that is a good point you made thank you

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi AndyGuy, that machine is lovely, not sure why you want to change it as you say you are new to biking, I've had a a fair few Street Triple models, the one you have is a great machine and being the R it has slightly better suspension and adjustable, as mentioned in the other posts, the RX only differs in that the rear subframe from the Daytona 675, the bike you have is a little more "Hooligan" than later ones. The TFT dash you mention is only available on the 765 range, and then not on the base models. I bought a new 765rs in 2019, it's a step up from the 675 range and has different rider modes, ride by wire throttle amongst other things, I then chopped it in for another new 765 rs in September this year, again its a step up from the 2019 model, that said you are spending more and more money year on year by changing machines. I would definitely hang on to your bike keep it and enjoy it, however if it's just a change you really want then go for it, I'm always changing bikes and just love anything with an engine. I have put some pics of my Street Triples from the last 2 years. Ride safe all. PS let me know if you are selling your STR.

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  12. AndyGuy

AndyGuy Member

Nov 27, 2020
    County Durham

Great advice and honesty
    I like the white ST

can you pm on here if it is allowed ? So I can ask you some questions ?
    Thanks

13. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I've also heard that some insurance companies don't like quickshifters and bump the premium significantly. Never owned one so can't say if that's true, but as littleade suggests, worth bearing in mind particularly if you have a short bike insurance history.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    There will be a hike in insurance as littleade says it would almost double if you went for the 765rs model, ring your insurance first to see what they say. Added extras have changed for the better with most insurance companies, they now allow up to 9 additions over standard, a list is available what you can have, the criteria used is (does the item you are fitting enhance performance), always tell your insurance company what mods the bike has above standard, I see your machine has a few extras above what it came out of the factory with, I don't wish to sound alarming but if you don't inform them and anything happened (accident or theft) they may not pay out, the small print invariably says this. A guy had a new Aprillia RS V4 factory model, it was made a write off, he had aftermarket exhausts fitted from new along with a power commander, his insurance deemed the power commander to be performance enhancing and he failed to disclose it to them, his insurance refused to pay out. It's not worth the heartache. Quickshifters don't however attract a premium, technically they are not performance enhancing, most top end models come with one as standard anyway. It's worth remembering that added extras make a machine more attractive to theft, the Street Triple is the UKs No 1 bike for being stolen, hence the higher insurance cost. A 675 I owned previous was dearer to insure than a GSXR 1000 I had, it's usually nothing to do with performance more of theft risk and your postcode also comes into play, a simplistic view is a person could say hit a high end car (Porsche etc) whilst riding a C50 causing high cost to repair. Ride safe all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. AndyGuy

AndyGuy Member

Nov 27, 2020
    County Durham
    E4BD8116-D56B-40F4-B7AF-6B68148E1496.jpeg

497B4777-DB64-4DE9-B578-1A687A5DCADD.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  16. AndyGuy

AndyGuy Member

Nov 27, 2020