Thinking Of Going Up To An Explorer

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Gazwhitespeed, Aug 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Hi,Been thinking of going up to an Explorer from my 800,i don't like all the electronics so have the base model xr and will get the xr in the explorer,a couple of questions,i bought new expedition panniers off my mate,does anybody know if you can get the locks out of these panniers,i know you can't get them out of the triumph one's but these are rebranded givi outbacks and a longshot but the pannier racks might be the same.

2. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
  3. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Rooster,looked at yours but sadly no good for me as the 800 is the majority of the money,as for test ride have ridden quite a few of them and they remind me of my super tenere when I had that,bloody heavy to push/turnaround but once over 5mph no problem,as the 800 was going to be my only bike until my accident compensation comes through[which could take up to 2yrs] I didn't want 2yrs of that being my only bike,it's a good bike if I treat it as my number 2 bike,but if it was to be my only bike [personally] I find it boring so I am going for the 1200 and will have 2 non chip keys cut incase I can't get the pannier locks out.

4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Gaz am I right in thinking you visit the Tiger 800 forum.

If so do a search there's a thread on there about removing locks from panniers and top boxes, you just need to make a simple little tool.
    The dimensions are on the thread.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    littleade,thanks and tiglet,yes I do go on the other forum,thanks for your tip and I did try to make this tool when I had a 1050 ended up chucking the entire topbox away in the end,so iv'e just come back from the locksmiths had 2 non chip keys cut so that way those locks stay with those boxes forever no matter what bike they are on in the future no more pissing about with locks after all any other make of bike you would have different keys for luggage,now ive just got to get my arm working for 9th sept so I can go and pick the tex up,cortizone injection on the 8th will be my saviour.

6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    @Gazwhitespeed

i had the same question and got this reply
    You need to create the master key by starting with a 1.6mm Allen key, file the end down so it's about 0.8mm thick and 2mm long from the inside bend. Put this down your lock barrels and turn it, it activates the retaining pin and allows you to remove the barrels. As I said mine were unlocked to start with, and changed all 3 in under 10 mins with no damage to cases at all. I think it may bend the inside of the lock barter but thole ones went in the bin as was fitting new ones anyway.