Touring Thinking of going to Northern France 10th June

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by andypandy, Apr 25, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Thought I might take the ferry over to Calais on Friday 10th June and have a look around the WW1
    battlegrounds. On the bike of course. I'll have full days Sat & Sun before coming home on Monday. I know a few of you guys and gals on here have done this part of France and so I would greatly appreciate some tips on the "best see" places.
    The other thing is I'm going on my own so if anyone would like to tag along, you're more than welcome. I'm flexible on dates.
    Cheers,
    Andy

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    For me the most important places would be Ypres and Thiepval. Will leave a BIG impression on you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Maybe add Tyne Cot to the list Dave.

• Like Like x 1
  4. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I'm over at the moment,went to Thiepval this morning. Coming home in the morning,I'll get back to you tomorrow, can't do to much as I'm using the phone

5. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    If it's your first time over the Ypres would be your best bet.
    Menin Gate,Tyne Cott,Passendale,Sanctuary Wood are all within easy reach.We did most of then in a day.
    The In Flanders Fields museum in the Cloth Hall in Ypres shouldn't be missed and the Last Post at the gate every evening.
    Sanctuary Wood are still the original trenches with a slightly quirky private museum.
    To be honest you could go for a week and not see it all.
    Or follow the Western front down,Vimey ridge,Mons the Somme.
    It's definitely worth seeing,you wont regret it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Andy, any chance you could go a few days earlier? The 6th of June at Arromanches in Normany makes a great visit. meet up with some of the old boys who 'popped in' a few years ago in '44.

7. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Hi Biglad, yes I've been to Normandy many times, in fact I was at Pegasus Bridge last year on the 6th June. I've never done any of the WW1 stuff so I need to redress the balance a little. As I'll be on my own (wife doesn't ride pillion and I want to do it on the bike) I don't want to stay too long or spend too much. That way the wife won't mind me going.
    So with the good advice above I've got a good idea now were I can get the best out of my two full days.
    Cheers chaps.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tigerted

tigerted Member

May 9, 2016
    eastbourne
    Hi Andy I have been over there several times and even went for a day on one of the trips.
    I usually go to Amiens to look at the cathedral which is as you would expect is worth seeing.
    From there I ride over to Albert where theres a great war museum. From there I ride up to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochnagar_mine

then from there I ride over to Thiepval and I dare you not to feel emotional when you see it.

I then ride over to Newfoundland Park where the Canadians fought.
    Spooky story here. Last time there both myself and my daughter swore we saw a soldier looking out from a bush which is under the monument there. It was of cause a weird shaped bush wasn't it !

You can also at the same time fill your time up with visiting the local cemeteries.

Oh I forgot you can also visit the site oh where the Ulster Guards regiment fought and theres a nice little café there as well.
    I very nearly said I would go with you but SWMO wants to go up to Edinburgh at that time in our van.

Have a great time and each time I go I think of how much those troops gave up for us.

9. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Thanks for that Tigerted, all suggestions are very welcome. I'm still waiting to book. An old friend from my youth wants to come and should let be letting me know one way or the other this week end. I'm really looking forward to it.