Thinking of buying an Enduro , recommendations

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Richard H, Mar 6, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    During the winter I missed being able to get out on my Speed Trip, not wanting to ruin it on the salty roads. Was thinking I may be able to fix this by getting an Enduro as a second bike.

Don't want to spend any more than about 3K, want to do some green lanes but nothing serious off road, would like a second set of super Moto road wheels, I am quite tall so should be able to handle a very tall bike.

Think for reliability I want to go 4 stroke. As for power; can you have too much??

Recommendations please

• Like Like x 1
  2. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Rich, a few of us have DRZ 400 s trail bikes for winter hacks and green lanes...
    They are bullet proof and tonnes of fun,
    You don't need to spend that much either...
    Anything bigger becomes a handful and heavy on green lanes...
    Anything smaller just struggles on the roads...
    I paid 1k for my 2000 model, it's brill for winter..
    Watch for them on eBay, the e model is more off road than road..
    The sm has less clearance on the usd forks, the e model has digital speedo etc and you can pick up sm wheels for next to nothing as well as tonnes of other spares for next to nothing on eBay...
    This my one image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    #3 workshyfop, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    I know someone who had a Yam TTR 600 for sale, nice nick, wanted it myself but the wife put her foot down, I've got a pic & can see if he's still got it, about £2k pricewise. Fitted with Pirelli road tyres & a nice end can.

4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Was not sure about going as large as a 600 but is a possible. Just trying to work out what would suit me best bearing in mind I am a novice off roader pushing 50 and not very fit!

5. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Rich, your profile matches our group....
    Although the drz feels like. 1/3rd of the weight of my speed, as soon as you go off Tarmac or try picking it up twice on a ride its heavy enough... Lol
    Meant to say, manageable power for novices (me includes) and tweekable for more when required...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I have to concure with Jim... Top bike for the novice... This is my 1st year green laning and it's good fun..be prepared to pick it up but I'm a big lad and the 400 is perfect... Crashes well, bullet proof and cheap as chips to repair.....

• Like Like x 2
  7. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Richard, did you progress with this any further??

8. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Sort of, just about cleared the garage so I now have space for an extra bike. Keep looking on e bay and bike trader. My only worry is that I get one and then find the middle age body can not do off roading and the thing ends up just gathering dust; seen quite a few adverts for off roaders being sold by people that sound just like me!

Am quite drawn to the larger cc off roader like the Honda XC 650 where you can fit either off road wheels or super Moto road wheels that way it would get more use...... But perhaps to much of a handful off road........ ?

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    The DRZ does that as well... I have 2 sets of wheels with mine...
    I will say if you don't know anyone or don't have a group near to that goes green laning then I would think twice.
    Not a good idea as a learner to go on your own.
    I have a few mates and we only go out together although I now know where a few others meet so worst car is I could go and join them....

10. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Good advice Screwball, I may get myself an off road day up the Peaks to get a bit of a taster before I jump in.

11. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    I did an off road day a few years back, I've never known such pain, I ached in places I never knew it was possible to ache!

• Like Like x 2
  12. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    We go up peaks most times on drzs or triple, more than welcome to join us anytime rich, I really think the 650 would be abad choice though mate, just keeping it upright would knacker you up....
    But your call, I strongly recommend blogging a go on different bikes on n off road, 400s are too heavy off road some days...

13. pippawilky

pippawilky Member

Jun 27, 2013
    This is my drz400s. I use it when I get the chance. we have some good lanes around here in Normandy France and nobody getting arsey for you using them. dd 001.jpg

dd 001.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. purty lil thing! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Went to look at a DRZ 400 E that came up on e bay only about 8 miles from me, 2002 under 1000 miles fantastic condition all the paperwork. Bidding at £1400 with only hours to go so hold my nerve and save my best bid for the last 15 seconds F#####k outbid! Went for £2650
    Amazes me how much someone will pay for an 11 year old off roader.

16. pippawilky

pippawilky Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Bad luck think the price of them have gone up in the last year for some reason I payed £2800 for mine one owner 2600 mile it was as new back in 2010 still looks mint in picture above not now though or it's a 2007 bike

17. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Just one word of advice with regards to enduro bikes, NEVER, NEVER NEVER buy a Suzuki PE 175, 250 or anything else for that matter that says Suzuki PE on it, they are the most god awful bikes ever.
    I had a 175 (back in the day) and only managed to finish one race from a whole season of enduro's in the South Island.
    I then changed to a Yamaha IT 250 and only had one DNF the next season.

If you can get hold of one the old Honda XR's are also a great bike to muck about on only thing is looking after the cam chain on them.

18. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Looking at a Yamaha WR250 F at the moment, may be a bit breathless on the road but I hear they are better than the DRZ off road. If I have far to go on the road I have a pick up truck that I can use to carry the bike, and have 133bhp Speed Triple for on road kicks.

19. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Richard tried a WR250 at the bike show and you won't be left wanting...

20. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    #20 Richard H, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    $T2eC16JHJHEFFl2LdFjsBSVv4CeEKg~~60_12.jpg

Bid on and won a 2004 Yamaha WR 250 F in blue, 2000 miles looks good but not seen it in the flesh yet :eek: One owner from new who is a bike collector, its got a brand new set of super-moto rims and unused Dunlop tyres fitted at the moment but comes with original wheels and knobbly tyres.

$T2eC16JHJHEFFl2LdFjsBSVv4CeEKg~~60_12.jpg

• Like Like x 3