Thruxton Thinking Of Buying A New Rs

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by OneEyeMan, Jun 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OneEyeMan

OneEyeMan Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2019
    USA
    I recently sold my Street Triple R 765. It was an awesome bike but it always egged me on to ride faster. In my motorcycle career, I've only owned high revving, high HP, lower torque bikes.
    I think it's time to change that and slow down a bit.
    Having an affinity for Triumphs, (also owned a Speed Triple) of course the new Thruxton RS caught my eye.
    Does anybody here own one?
    Any comments either positive or negative on the bike would be welcome.
    Should I be concerned about tires with tubes in them?
    Or should I bag the Thruxton RS and just wait for the Speed Twin R?
    Thanks all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hi, @OneEyeMan. First of all, welcome to a terrific forum and a great community. :grinning:

Secondly, I have some thoughts on your Thruxton question. I don't have an RS but did have a 2016 Thruxton R which I loved. I traded it for my current 2019 Speed Triple RS after doing a Keith Code Superbike camp. Both terrific bikes but very different from one another. Prior to my Thruxton R I had a 2012 Thruxton. I think if you are looking to stick with a Triumph (good choice BTW), you may well fall in love with the Thruxton. My R will go down as one of the bikes I will wish I could have back in my garage. It was gobs of fun to ride and had plenty of power to do just that. But I do think it would help you to "slow down" a bit from your Street Triple (my husband had one of those). I didn't find myself with quite the same insatiable desire to crank on the throttle on my Thruxton as compared to my Speed Triple though it had plenty of both power and grunt to be a blast to ride. And the styling is impeccable in my opinion. I have a soft spot in my heart for cafe racers. ;):cool:

If you're mixed, wait for the Speed Twin R and try to test ride them both so you can compare heads up. When I was contemplating buying a Speed Triple RS, my other potential choice was a BMW S1000R. The two models matched up evenly on paper and based on reviews and friends' opinions, but the test ride made my choice easy.

Good luck with your research and choice! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. OneEyeMan

Apr 29, 2019
    USA
    Thanks for your comments Sandi. Probably the only reason I wouldn't purchase the Thruxton would be the seating position. If there's too much weight on my wrists, that would be a deal breaker. BTW, the bike I owned before the Street Triple was the BMW S1000R. That thing was stupid fast. But, as you've probably heard, the engine had no character. Unfortunately, I wrecked it by forgetting I turned the wheelie control off. Duh!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    The Thruxton (1200) seating position isn’t as extreme as it looks - I’ve done a few long commutes - 2 1/2 hours including central London and my wrists are fine
    My Jacksie though is a different story and am looking at the comfort seat:)

Take one out for a testride and see how you get on

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I have a thruxton r and whilst the riding position is not a situp, its is surprisingly quite a comfortable ride. I have done many a long days riding without significant problems. As has been suggested you should test ride one. Oh and the RS over the R, imo you can pick up a R at the moment for silly money, so that is what I would be doing :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hi again, @OneEyeMan. I agree with both @Wessa and @OldNick about the seating position. I just double-checked on Triumph's website and the new RS has clip-on handlebars which my Thruxton R did not. So I suspect the position of the RS is different than that of the older R models. At least different enough to make a difference in one's wrist comfort in particular.

Like Wessa and OldNick, I found the seating position to be quite comfortable, too. While I wouldn't do a touring trip on a Thruxton, I always found myself quite comfortable on my R and didn't have any complaints about my wrists. But again, the proof is in the pudding and if you can manage some test rides that will aid in your decision-making.

Interesting that you had an S1000R. Although I didn't mention why my decision to buy my Speedy was easy, it was primarily because of the BMW's engine character wasn't my cup of tea.

Keep us posted on your decision and please post photos when you get your new bike home!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OneEyeMan

Apr 29, 2019
    USA
    OK I rode one today and fell in love with it. The seating position is perfect for me. Very similar to my Street Triple. And did somebody say torque? The engine is so addicting. So I did the only logical thing I could; I bought it. Pick it up Tues. I’m so psyched.

• Like Like x 3
  8. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Good move, I think you’ll love it
    And as @Sandi T. said, we need pictures

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Congratulations, @OneEyeMan! Those test rides are "dangerous" things. ;) Actually, they are totally helpful. It sound like this will be a perfect bike for you. Can't wait to see some photos of it after you've picked it up on Tuesday. Nothing like a new motorcycle to make one feel like a little kid again!! :):cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. OneEyeMan

Apr 29, 2019
    USA
    First pic at the dealership.
    IMG_2904.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    I am lurking over on the Speed Triple section also. The whole 80mph in first on that bike kinda puts me off, where as the Thruxton RS from what I’ve read is a little engaging engine?
    Moving from a 765RS, Apples and oranges I know. Is the Thruxton suitably exciting’? If moving from the top end Street. I had a Diavel once, whilst it had loads of torque, I found it a little dull.

I’m moving and the roads are a mix of typical British single track, and the countryside -

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi @BT81 , the Thruxton is definitely engaging, but not if your main riding is going to be lanes and “b” roads, IMO it is not going to be the bike for you.
    Of course if you can it would be a great second bike to say a scrambler or a tiger (other adventure bikes are available) :).
    Good luck with your choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @BT81, as I said, I had a 2016 Thruxton R and currently have a 2019 Speed Triple RS. I thoroughly enjoy them both but it depends on your likes and needs. I live in the U.S. but if British single track and countryside mean what I think, then I agree with @Wessa that the Thruxton--and also the Street Triple--may not be the bikes for you. I would encourage you to see if you can arrange test rides on both so you can see for yourself whether they'd be suited to where you're moving. And it would also give you the opportunity to feel the engine character for yourself. The character if the Speed Triple's inline three made my decision a snap when I was comparing it to a BMW S1000R a few years ago. And when I bought my 2016 Thruxton R, I loved the character of that engine in comparison to my 2012 Thruxton 900. Good luck with you search--and purchase!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    So

put a deposit on a brand new Black Thruxton RS with the fairing and it seems to have a few other options

One minute you are looking at 180bhp Hyper naked in the Speed, and the next minute you buy a Thruxton

and why…. I hope this is the case. Character and ‘fun’?

we will of course see

now. Off to buy a steam phone mount (so I can find my way home from buying it!)
    And any other options I should pick up???

• Like Like x 3
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Well well. The Thruxton is definitely a fun bike with loads of character. Enjoy:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    Picking it up next Saturday- it’s the lowest BHP I’ve had on a bike. And I’m sure after the 765rs it’ll feel different. But

It’s still a bike, so I assume it’ll feel fast enough and . I mean. Look at it. Cool!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Take a look at the Thornton Hundred stem mounts…pretty good option I reckon!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    Yeah, just about to order one! I’ll see if the dealer will kindly fit the lock at point of picking it up :)

it’s annoying I need the quad lock steam mount, as I have a quad lock on my 765rs. Heyho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Neal H

Neal H Active Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    It’ll be interesting to see how you get on with the Thruxton. I recently bought a Speed Triple, but have always loved the look of the Thruxton and Speed Twin. In an ideal world I’d have one of those bikes parked alongside the Triple in the garage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1