Thinking of a Speed Triple. . . .few questions

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by da pink, Sep 17, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. da pink

da pink Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Good morning all,
    First post, so be kind, but I'm thinking of joining the fold

I need a bike for my short (but by choice bendy commute) and some evening/winter blats down the back roads. I have my sunny Sunday bike that i'm a bit precious about, so I like to have another for everything else. The last bike to do this job was a Bandit 12 but I fancy an upgrade and the Mrs has ok'd it. It's cost me, but she's ok'd it

Few questions, given the criteria above is it worth getting the latest version, or save some serious money and get the 2007 model? Is there really any big difference in enjoyment?

Are they reliable? This will be a commuter too. . . . .

How does the finish last thru' winter?

I read one long term user review that said the short swing arm whilst giving ease of wheelies means it can be hard to get the bike leant right over? Is he talking out of his rear? I mean I had a OLD bandit that I could lean far enough to scrape pegs. . . .the ST has got to pee all over that

Hop my post not too long and look forward to some replies

Peace

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    #2 Richard H, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    Hi da pink and welcome to the forum. I have the 2012 Speed Triple ABS and its just coming up to a year old now. So far its been totally reliable with just the plastic indicators needing replacement under warranty when the stems cracked. Done 7000 miles on it now and still love it. I've has singles, V twins, and in line fours and I believe the 1050 triple engine is one of the best engines ever built for the real world (not racing). It's smooth loads of low down torque and still has plenty of get up and go near the red line.

Brybrem may be best to advise on what is better about the new model over the old as he has recently upgraded from the old model to new. Most reports I hear is that the overall package is just better, handling wise I find the rear shock a bit hard and the ride can be a little harsh when the road surface is rough. The bike loves corners and for me with the right tyres fitted (Michelin Pilot R3's) it is totally confidence inspiring. I had a 1200 Bandit for a few years and the new Speed Triple is better than a Bandit in almost every way other than carrying a pillion; the Bandit will feel heavy and slow to turn compared. Does the new Speed Wheelie; off course it will if you are that way inclined; off the throttle in first and second off even a slight rise.

Rode mine off and on through last winter and washed after every ride, I have noticed one or two fasteners have gone slightly dull ( bolts holding the front Brembo's) but its no where near as bad as riding my Bandit through one winter as that just started to dissolve :eek: Think I will use some of that protection spray this year (ACF 50??) before winter riding.

My only slight issue with the bike is that leg wise its a fairly sporty riding position and I am quite tall (and wide :rolleyes:) and I do find my knees hurt after a long ride and you will need to get the neck muscles in training. I have SW Motec soft panniers and tank bag for my machine and toured on it this year with no other issues, its a fun bike that can be practical, reliable , 160 ish miles to a tank, reasonable insurance and its British :upyeah:

3. da pink

da pink Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Cheers Richard, thanks for the post.

I've owned virtually every sports il4 going, and am keeping my twin - a triple is the only configuration I haven't had yet. On paper it's the perfect combo.

The hard ride is a little concerning as the roads here are f*&^%%d, but it's the payoff for summat that turns, I suppose. A sacrifice I am willing to make :upyeah:

I'll be using her every day of the year except when there's snow/ice down. . . .so it's good to hear the finish is better than the Bandit. I used mine thru 3 winters, used loads of ACF50 and although she looked a little tired she was ok

So the only point is the riding position. I've ridden streetfighters for about the last 10 years so my neck'll be ok. . . but i'm a little concerned the sporty pegs will be an issue on a daily ride - and it's the sot of thing you can't fathom on a test ride. How tall are you, mate? I'm 6'

4. m4ppy

m4ppy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Hi, and welcome.

I think you will find most of this forum will speak highly of the speed (as they should). It is a great bike and I have just moved from a street triple R, and before that a Tuono and RSV. I do like and prefer litre bikes. I have only had this one 6 months and purchased it to be my daily commuter. I have the 2012 and its a really good bike so sold my weekend toy and use this for both. I did change the tyres to PR3's as I want the best wet/cold grip I can get. There may be better bikes out there but its always down to personal choice. When funds allow I would go back to a Tuono V4 but its a lot of bike for a daily commute with some weekend fun thrown in so hard to justify the money.

For keeping it in top condition over the winter, I have always used CF50 and it did the job with the street over last winter and looked just as good as new when I sold it recently.

The rear tyre is a good size and lean angle is down to skill and bottle, but it will go over. Spend a little time setting the suspension up and enjoy

5. da pink

da pink Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Hi m4ppy
    Glad you posted, my other bike (my weekend toy and the best I ever owned imho) is a Tuono Racing. How would you compare the 2?

Ta in advance

edit
    And you use the ACF on body work too, or just metal bits?

6. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    6' 4" ! 18 stone :eek:

7. m4ppy

m4ppy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Your touno will take some beating. I had both a gen1 and gen2 but borrowed a v4. That bested both but at a silly price. I traded my gen2 for a street triple which is a fantastic bike just a bit to small. That's how I ended up with the speed as I missed the big bike feel.

So which is better, honestly both are great bikes. I find I use the speed a lot more than I ever did the Aprilia. This makes for me anyway a better bike as I can see a use for the price. I had an RSV up until a few weeks ago but sold it as I stopped using it of a weekend. With the right tyres the speed handles amazingly.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    Shortarse - lightweight! :upyeah:

9. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    Hi da-pink, its a cracking bike - its user friendly,comfy and the pegs aren't what I'd call sporty - saying that I know they have been raised up from the previous model and that helps the lap times that the bike mags and big T published. I've had two so far a 2011 & 2013 and can recommend them. I've gone back to a blade as its only a toy and I can't use it for work so its just for fun. The Speed was loads of fun throughout the rev range but just didn't give me the rush I get with the blade but if and when I go back to something more comfy but nearly as much fun it will be another Speed - job done. :upyeah:

By the way i'm 6'0.5" and heavy enough to pin the current wife down! :eek: Pic of me by my speed in another post :wink:

10. da pink

da pink Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Cheers all, much appreciated & a nice welcome

M4ppy : think you've sold it me. A Tuono that's more useable? Couldn't meet my needs more. I'll never sell the Tuono, but wouldn't want to use everyday...Sunday morning bike.

Richard: you're a bigger lad than eye, another box ticked

Mr h: you've helped seal the deal. And
    :biggrin: keep up the good work.

Time to book a test ride, just as soon as North York's Magistrates return me licence (replete with bonus points)

• Like Like x 1
  11. da pink

da pink Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Gutted.

Wife says yes, Bank says fuck off.

Have to wait for my compo. . . .so it'll probably have a jet engine before I own one

12. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    There's actually not really a major amount of difference between my 07 and 2011 but the newer one is just tweaked a little in so many areas that it has become a better bike. If things went tits up tomorrow I wouldn't feel too bad about having to sell the new one and keep the old one. On the new one the handling's a bit better, the breaking's a bit better but I think I prefer the riding position of the old one - but I'm taking steps to sort that. I still think I prefer the looks of the old one but, of course, that's a personal thing.

I know where there's a really nice green 07 model going for £4,000 (with the best part of £2,000 worth of bits) - one careful owner, if you're interested?

13. da pink

da pink Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Bry
    As its a second bike I think the older one better value for money then

The bike you mention is perfect. Just what I want. Love the green & love mods

Alas I can't get the finance now till December

Gutted but there you go, apparently bills & stuff take precedent?

Seems odd to me but there ya go.

I'm still gonna lurk here, so if the bikes still around then ......

Where are you, by the way?

14. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I'm in North Wales (just).

To be honest, if you're really serious about wanting it as long as you could have the money to me before Easter I'll keep it for you - I spent the wife's kitchen fund on the new one and I'm taking a couple of weeks off at Easter to knock a wall down and put a new kitchen in. If you want, come down and have a look. If not, don't worry, I don't think I'll have too much trouble selling it. Here's a recent pic. It was actually taken at our rally last year, not 2007 as it shows in the snap - I'm just a fucktard with the camera settings. I've just had the wheels and sub-frame powder coated as the paint was bubbling a bit - wish I'd done it ages ago as it looks even better with gloss black wheels!

Firebird 2012 010.jpg

Firebird 2012 010.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. da pink

da pink Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Mate that's the bike I'm looking for and a very kind offer.

I'll have money in December, i'm sure of that . . .maybe I should come have a look/chat. I'm in Lancashire so depending on where in NW you are prob not too far. Tell me a little more. . . . mileage, service, etc etc?

16. da pink

da pink Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Shit hang on a goddam second

you're not.......grooming me are you?

• Like Like x 1
  17. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Not sure - I'm a 13 year old girl with larger breasts than I should have for my years. You decide!

18. da pink

da pink Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Either way I could do with speaking to ya :)

19. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Who's grooming who, now?

20. da pink

da pink Member

Sep 17, 2013
    That depends, do you like 16 y/old Asian girls with intact hymens due to insecurity issues?