Thinking About A Street Triple Project.........

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by andyb57, Mar 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Have been mulling over a second bike/replacement for the Daytona. I want something lower powered and lighter to enjoy the lanes around my new home in Devon :). Budget would be around £3k and plan to lightly modify the bike.
    I've thought about a twin but keep looking at the weight of Bonnies etc - I know they don't feel that heavy when ridden, but still.....
    So I've found myself looking at the early 675 Street and have started to hunt for one. Ideally I would like a 2009 R but suspect my budget is a bit low for that so may have to go for the cooking version. First thoughts about mods are a big round single headlight (heresy?!?), slimming down the rear end/side pods, and of course a low level pipe.
    Grateful to hear about any experiences of modifying Streets, and if anybody stumbles across a scruffy but mechanically sorted bike lurking at the back of their shed, give me a shout!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    You'll end up buying one and falling in love with it's charm, like I did :laughing:
    Mine came with a few mods but soon sold all the bits and bought standard bits to replace them.
    Then remapped it, all's good.
    You say lower power but these things are still bloody missiles on the road and all the power you really need in my opinion.
    3k should get you a cracker as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Just by way of illustration of what MIGHT be out there ........ the ad. below appeared in January on a Street Triple specific forum I'm on. It would be the bargain of the year (IMHO) - the right year; great colour scheme; low mileage; history; pretty much all the right extras and not all that far off your budget target. Your target would, though, be VERY easily achieved by selling off things like the Arrows (now unobtainium and selling s/h at £400 - £500 in good nick); bar end mirrors (about £80 to £100 in good condition) and maybe belly pan or fairing/screen. It would, though, be something of a sin (again, MHO) to modify this particular one in the way you suggest - better, I think, to find a real clunker and 'improve' it in the way you feel inclined to proceed.

However, and As Rspete suggests, you may very well find that the ST in its normal, daily guise gets into your bloodstream like the adrenalin rush it's very easily capable of creating when you actually ride one. They are brilliant machines and as easy to ride to work and back as they are to go 'balls out' on a track!

I hope you find (and do) what you want ........ just let me know what bits you strip off and might want to sell! Please. ;)

Mine's a lifetime keeper - and if the wife ever decides to change I'll take hers off her hands, too! :)

With a somewhat heavy heart I have decided that my lovely little ST needs a new home. She sits in my garage and has only managed a few hundred miles in the last year so may be it is time for someone else to enjoy this wonderful machine. Here are a few details and picture, if you want to know more or see some more pictures just pm me.
    Year 2010 (round headlights)
    Standard Street Triple
    Miles 3630
    Full annual service history
    Just passed the MOT (expiry 24 Jan 2019)
    Belly pan
    Windshield and screen
    Seat cowl
    Bar end mirrors
    Engine protectors
    Arrow exhausts
    Data tool alarm
    R&G tail tidy

It is in nice condition and has rarely been used in rain or bad weather. Looking on ebay and MCN the going price seems to be anywhere between £3,500 and £5,000 for a standard 2010 bike so perhaps £3,500 may be a fair price. Also included are all the original parts and a triumph grab rail. At the moment I haven't advertised elsewhere.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    That is very nice - did it sell??
    Re mods - my plan is not to make any changes which can't be reversed!

5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Not sure - but the seller did intimate that he would keep it if it didn't sell. Would you like me to ask?

6. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Not at the moment thanks, I need to decide what to do with my Daytona, sort out garage - and talk to the CFO :cold_sweat: . Think you're right though, a bike like that should be kept as is.......

7. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    They are a truly brilliant bike, bought my 2013 standard ST last October and I can’t believe it took me so long to sample the delights of the 675 ST. Definitely one of the best bikes I’ve ever owned, not the fastest or the best handling but just a great all round bike that genuinely puts a huge grin on your face every time you ride it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4