Thinking About 765rs

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by KobayashiMaru86, Aug 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KobayashiMaru86

KobayashiMaru86 New Member

Aug 31, 2019
    Wales, UK
    Looking at getting back into biking after a few years away, initially wanted some simple like a Yamaha with a parallel twin but drove a 900GT with a triple and loved it. Started thinking of other options and the Street Triple 765 RS came to mind. Went down to my local dealer for a go and I felt at home immediately on it. Far easier to ride than I thought it would be, modes and dash are fantastic and power delivery is so smooth. Handling straight out the box was superb. Once the tyres were warm it had loads of grip. It's only downside, being a naked was lack of wind protection but I'd get used to that. Will be commuting on it a few days a week.

Don't know yet if I'm going new or used. Anything I need to look out for? I'm 6'1 and about 100kg (but losing weight quite quickly) and keep reading I have to change the rear spring. It's been a while since I was last using a bike regularly so lots to learn again so will be a long time before I'm riding really quickly, but that's the fun part. With cars I've always learned how it runs as stock, get what I can out of it and then make changes so I can see the benefit. I want to do the same with this and build up to it.

What's it like for tyre life and servicing costs? Servicing, the dealer isn't that far away to do once a year. Tyres need some thought. I'm in Swansea so there should be plenty of places. M&P's is the biggest bike shop but other options would be nice.

I was thinking of getting something soon, so I have one to use whenever I have chance to. But with winter coming I can't see it getting that much use. Perhaps until late November. No issues riding in the rain I just like to avoid salt. I could just get one regardless and gives me time to build NCB again and learn the bike when I can.

The RS is definitely a heart decision over head. My head says go for a Tracer 900GT and while it's very capable I didn't feel anything for it. The RS I did immediately. It's also more to insure and even on 0% still more overall. In car terms I'd compare it to the new Civic Type-R. Divisive looks but hugely capable for all skill levels and you can feel at one with it pretty quickly.

Thanks in advance

Martyn